Help - Low Gravity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainbrewer

Reaction score
I have just put down a Cascade Spicy Ghost Draught with 1 kilogram Coopers Brew Enhancer Number 2 and included yeast in Cascade kit.

I checked the gravity and it was at 1018, have I done something wrong.

The yeast was added at 22 degrees.

Will the brew still be okay

HELP!!!! <_<

Have you calibrated your hydrometer recently, maybe its rooted!
check it inot some distilled water, adn it shoudl read 1

Sinkas,

I did not think of that, just tested hydrometer, was at 1 in distilled water, does anyone else have any ideas??

Captainbrewer, from where did you take the sample for the gravity test? It could simply be a matter of the thick wort not mixing well with the water, unless you added more than 20 or so litres to the kit. Hence a possible dodgy sample.

I took the sample from the top of the wort/fermenter, it was very thick heady/foamy when filled with water to about 22 litres. I rechecked it again about 10 minutes ago, no change, should I stir it around a bit??

captainbrewer said:
should I stir it around a bit??
[post="86482"][/post]​

Yep, give it a good stir with a sanitised spoon.

Cheers
Pedro

Give it a good stir with a sanitised impliment or dump into another sanitised fermenter if possible to give it a good vigorous mixing.

Edit: spelling

Thanks for your assistance, it is now back to 1035.

Much appreciated. I have not heard of a thick brew. Good to know.

Hey Captain,

Another option - Ensure there is no froth or bubbles around your hydrometer as it can tend to "lift" the hydrometer giving a false reading. While this is more of a problem as fermentation takes place it may explain your reading.

Let your sample rest and try it again.

Cheers

BDB

Or maybe not :blink: I may eventually learn how to type a response before the problem is solved.

Cheers BDB

yeah, i was getting strange readings and when i looked at the bottom of the hyrdo, there was a crack. :(

captainbrewer - did you stir the wort good ? take another reading, as the liquid in the tap might not be mixed properly.

Black Dog Brewery said:
I may eventually learn how to type a response before the problem is solved.
Cheers BDB
[post="86499"][/post]​
Same :lol:

redbeard said:
yeah, i was getting strange readings and when i looked at the bottom of the hyrdo, there was a crack. :(

captainbrewer - did you stir the wort good ? take another reading, as the liquid in the tap might not be mixed properly.
[post="86505"][/post]​
The last time I was on crack I got some strange hydrometer readings

Back