Help! Kegging Troubles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Scientist

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have just finnished hooking up my new kegging system. Problem is when I go to pull a beer nothing is comming out :eek:

I have a 19L corny keg with a nice English Brown in it. Gas is comming through a Sodastream cylinder that is full and is regulated by a Harris 601. Pressure is definately getting to the keg and I have made sure the gas line is in the 'IN' post. The posts are conected corectly, but only a very slight tricle runs into the beer line. I have checked all restrictions of the system and am running at 12psi. The only thing I can think that maybe stopping the flow, could be a blockage in the dip tube.

Any other suggestions would be apprecated.

Cheers, I'm thirsty

:(

Sounds like you're on the right track with the blockage. Give the pressure valve on the keg a couple of bursts to see whether the gas is all good.

If so, try disconnecting the beer line from the keg and push the pin in with something, and see if it sprays out (use a towel or something to avoid washing the walls!). This will at least tell you whether it is the diptube that's blocked or the line / tap.

Keg isn't frozen is it? I have done that one before :)

I just went and check the out post, by depressing the valve in. Nothing comming out, so I turned the keg upside down and gave it a little shake. Re-conected, but still nothing and it not frozen either.

I also hooked the gas line to the out post and tried to give it a blast, to clear the line, still nothing <_<

I might have to decanter it and check it out that way. Any other takers...

did you lift the relief valve while connecting the gas to the liquid tube? If not then nothing will have happened as the keg was pressured.

Sounding like a blocked dip tube?

did you lift the relief valve while connecting the gas to the liquid tube? If not then nothing will have happened as the keg was pressured.

JasonY you have won the guessing game :super:

I had'nt lifted the relief valve, but did this time and nothing comming out. So I turned up the gas and yeay it blew clear.

Thanks for the help guys :beerbang:

The question is - what did you dislodge :ph34r:

ahh well at least you can now get at the beer :D

Yeah, I have a glass in front of me right now.

The blockage was a clump of Hop sludge. As this was my first try out of kegging, I just threw in a kit recipe and a handful of hops. I didn't bother with conditioning either and I guess thats why I had a fair bit of trub on the bottom. Homebrewing is a learning experince, cheers for the insight.

I have a Danish larger cold conditioning at the moment, I'm sure I'll have kegging down pat foe that little beuty.

:beer:

If you've got a lot of lumps in there you'll probably get more blockages, and they might not all clear so easily - in this case it might be an idea to let it settle then carefully syphon to another keg.

Good idea Wortgames, I'm on it!

Lucky its the weekend. The missus calls brewing my other wife :lol:

Scientist - have you met Tony yet? He's a mad keen Ag brewer from your neck of the woods, a damn good one at that...

Scientist - have you met Tony yet? He's a mad keen Ag brewer from your neck of the woods, a damn good one at that...

I have'nt got much support on the brewing front here in Tamworth, so any connection would be good. Its a bonus if Tony is a Ag brewer, as thats something I want to go into down the track. :chug:

Ross, I'm guessing I can find Tony on this forum.

The Scientist said:

I have'nt got much support on the brewing front here in Tamworth, so any connection would be good. Its a bonus if Tony is a Ag brewer, as thats something I want to go into down the track. :chug:

Ross, I'm guessing I can find Tony on this forum.
[post="87003"][/post]​

Yep - http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/Tony-m416.html

cheers Ross

Back