Help for a first time BIAB brewer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crusty said:
The Sacc rest, or saccrification rest, is simply soaking your milled grains at a constant temperature for a set period of time, usually 60-90mins. This process in it's simplest form converts starches in the grain to fermentable sugars ( wort ) We then raise this temperature after the stated period to mash out temperatures which will halt the starch to sugar conversion. We now have wort that we boil & add our hops to for bitterness, flavour & aroma.
Ohhhhh, isn't that just mashing? I've been reading How to Brew and he didn't use that word, or is it a completely different thing?

But yeah, i understand now. Do you do it in your kettle with BIAB, and how do you find the best way to insulate is?

oscarman said:
Ohhhhh, isn't that just mashing? I've been reading How to Brew and he didn't use that word, or is it a completely different thing?

But yeah, i understand now. Do you do it in your kettle with BIAB, and how do you find the best way to insulate is?
Yeah, it's mashing but the rest process is called a saccrification rest. It's done in the kettle.
If you are using a brewing software programme, like BrewMate, you will heat up approx 32lt of water to say 69deg. Once at 69deg, turn off the heat & add your grain bag, then add the crushed grains. Stir whilst adding the grains & make sure it's fully stirred in, no clumps or dough balls as their called. I place the lid on my urn & wrap the urn in some insulation, usually a sleeping bag & walk away for 90mins. After 90mins, I turn the urn on & heat the mash up to 78deg, continually rousing the mash with a paint stirrer. Once I hit 78deg, I turn off the urn & hoist out my bag. Once the bag is clear of the wort, I turn on the urn again & start to boil. I then add hops according to my recipe & boil for 60mins. I have an exposed element urn so I have a v-shaped roasting rack that covers the urn's element to avoid burning the bag. I fetch that out of the urn when my bag is clear of the wort & heading for the boil. I also have a 24" x 24" grain bag that I peg around the outside of the urn to add my hop pellets. I squeeze the bag as well & extract as much wort to the urn as I can.

edit: spelling............................saccharification

Latest posts

Back