Help! First Brew Carbination Dilema

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rizrah

Reaction score
Hey guys,
i've already learnt so much from this forum so thanks for everything already!

i have chucked my first brew on, a JSGA clone, and its been in the bottle for 1 week. i thought i'd try one just to develop an understanding of the process.

how long do the coopers carbonation drops usually take to carbonate? my brew is mainly in 330ml bottles, so i put in one coopers drop.

i know im probly being impatient, but there was no fizz when i cracked it.

i think it could also be my capper cos i put coke in it like i read on a forum here, and shook it. it did sound a little like there might be gas escaping.

Depends on the temp it was resting at. In summer, I'll usually have bottles carbed up in about 3-4 days. In winter they take a bit longer. If you are worried, upending the bottles to stir up the yeast shouldnt hurt and should speed up the process.

Curious... I bulk primed mine into 500ml Grolsch bottles... when I give my test bottle a gentle swirl / shake I get no carbonation bubbles appear either... it's been in the bottle for about 9 days now, and I thought it might just be taking longer in winter...

:(

Carbonation can be achieved in under a week, or it can take as long as 6 weeks.
I've had them all. Hefeweizens within days, Milds and Bitters up to 6 weeks.
It's dependant on a number of factors such as the make up of your wort, how long it was in primary, the yeast used, the temperature your bottles are stored at etc etc.
There really is no definitive answer. You just need to be patient. They will carbonate eventually.
Try a bottle once a week. Most brews should be well on the way after about 2 weeks.

have you got a layer of stuff on the bottom of the bottle ?

yeah i have some smut on the bottom of the bottles, i've upended them a few times just now to kick them in

yeah i have some smut on the bottom of the bottles, i've upended them a few times just now to kick them in
Be patient young jedi, two weeks carbonation at least, 4 plus is better. Put them under the capper again if you're not sure. If you haven't got one, a bench capper is worth it's weight

gals

turn out patience is the key!

tried one last night, nice and fizzy, surprisingly good head retention. think i chucked in a bit too much hops tho, it's pretty bitter, but thats the way i like it!

thanks for the help boys

sorry to hijack...

but DITTO... put a couple in the fridge on Fri night... she popped louder than a champagne bottle !!!

Primary Temp = Secondary temp ie ferment at twenty: condition at twenty
Hope this helps, works for me

Latest posts

Back