Help designing a ipa recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronwales

Reaction score
Hi I'm fairly new to all grain and need some help designing a ipa recipe. I want to hopefully not have to buy anything else. This is what I have to work with:
6kg marris otter
.560 gms carapils
.220 gms caramel
50 gms simcoe
20 gms Columbus
50gms cascade
100gms galaxy

I'm using the robobrew and looking to make 21 litre batches hope to have roughly :
ibu 50-60
And under 7% abv
I hope that's enough info cheers

Been sitting in the fridge for ages and wanted to use it up

I was just about to post up a Fullers ESB clone which I m enjoying right now, didn't realise till I saw the hops that it was an American one, have a google for Bombay or Jaipur IPA they are very tasty, you may have to go and buy a few more hops though.

I was just about to post up a Fullers ESB clone which I m enjoying right now, didn't realise till I saw the hops that it was an American one, have a google for Bombay or Jaipur IPA they are very tasty, you may have to go and buy a few more hops though.
They both sound delicious but I'm brewing on a tight budget this week lol, and hoping to be able to use up as much of my stock as possible.

One of my standard brews is Marris Otter and about 5% crystal, just throw your MO and caramel in should give you a good beer. Then jump on beersmith or brewer’s friend to work out your hops. Have not used them as a combo but would think they will work together.

I would use the Maris Otter as base malt, it’s got a lot of flavour and some people don’t like it in an IPA. You could use table sugar to boost the ABV and not impart too much flavour.
Adjust the colour with the caramel malt

My iPhone won’t let me screen shot BeerSmith so here goes

5.5kg Maris Otter mash at 66 for 60mins

Boil Hops
20g Columbus for 60mins
15g Simcoe for 60mins

30g Cascade at flameout
15g Simcoe at flame out
15g Galaxy at flameout

Dry hop as you see fit, probably all of the remaining Simcoe and Cascade maybe 20-50g of galaxy.

Ferment with S04

This will result in a beer with
OG 1.066 FG 1.017
ABV 6.5%
IBU 50

One of my standard brews is Marris Otter and about 5% crystal, just throw your MO and caramel in should give you a good beer. Then jump on beersmith or brewer’s friend to work out your hops. Have not used them as a combo but would think they will work together.
Cheers bud I just got the beer smith app too, time to give it a whirl

I would use the Maris Otter as base malt, it’s got a lot of flavour and some people don’t like it in an IPA. You could use table sugar to boost the ABV and not impart too much flavour.
Adjust the colour with the caramel malt

My iPhone won’t let me screen shot BeerSmith so here goes

5.5kg Maris Otter mash at 66 for 60mins

Boil Hops
20g Columbus for 60mins
15g Simcoe for 60mins

30g Cascade at flameout
15g Simcoe at flame out
15g Galaxy at flameout

Dry hop as you see fit, probably all of the remaining Simcoe and Cascade maybe 20-50g of galaxy.

Ferment with S04

This will result in a beer with
OG 1.066 FG 1.017
ABV 6.5%
IBU 50
How much table sugar would you use ? Cheers?

If you want to keep it around 6.5% you could reduce the Maris otter to 5kg and use 300g of table sugar. That’s around 5.7% sugar I wouldn’t go above 10% in an IPA.

4.8kg of malt and 400g of sugar will give you 7.7% sugar content. That’s about as much as I would use.

If you want to keep it around 6.5% you could reduce the Maris otter to 5kg and use 300g of table sugar. That’s around 5.7% sugar I wouldn’t go above 10% in an IPA.

4.8kg of malt and 400g of sugar will give you 7.7% sugar content. That’s about as much as I would use.
Thanks guys I'm brewing tommorow, I'll let u know how I go

Thanks guys I'm brewing tommorow, I'll let u know how I go
Tasted it out of the keg yesterday tasting beautiful, just got a bit of a weird taste at the end. I think it's time I start looking into adjusting ph levels and removing chlorine.

Latest posts

Back