Help Coming Up With Recipe!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkirky

Reaction score
Gday everyone...

Ive got the following ingredients lying around, and would appreciate some advice on a recipe...

I have at hand;

3kg liquid light malt extract (unhooked)
2kg liquid wheat malt extract
2kg dry malt extract

30gm simcoe
70gm saaz (german)
60gm Pride of ringwood (quite old- been in freezer for 18 months)

1 pack US05 yeast
1 pack S-04 english yeast...

I was thinking of 20gm simcoe for 60 minutes to about 35IBU and 30gm saaz at 10 minutes...

I thought I could caramelise some of the liquid malt for character and ferment with s04 at about 19 degrees...

Ideas???

Very mixed up sounding brew.

Might work but to my mind the simcoe will overpower the more delicate saaz and the 04 is better suited to a UK brew.

I'd either go all simcoe with a small bittering addition and lots of late hopping or use the pride early for some bittering then go late with simcoe. Use US05.

I'm not sure caramelising the liquid malt will work to add character since it essentially already is a sweet reduction.

Give it a go by all means but try and at least work out what each thing has brought to the party when you are finished.

Id do either an American wheat with the us-05, wheat lme, simcoe at 60 and 15 to 20 or so ibu. Or use the saaz but add in some dried orange peel and coriander seeds.

Very mixed up sounding brew.

Might work but to my mind the simcoe will overpower the more delicate saaz and the 04 is better suited to a UK brew.

I'd either go all simcoe with a small bittering addition and lots of late hopping or use the pride early for some bittering then go late with simcoe. Use US05.

I'm not sure caramelising the liquid malt will work to add character since it essentially already is a sweet reduction.

Give it a go by all means but try and at least work out what each thing has brought to the party when you are finished.

Thanks for your feedback manticle... I'm not bothered about style much but moresoe looking for a simple recipe that I can use with the ingredients I have left over...

I was even thinking of a simple Aussie ale using POR to 25IBU but I'm concerned over the age of the POR...

I've got two kegs filled with heavily hopped APAs so would prefer a less hopped style, morecquaffible brew...

All saaz with US05 will work fine too. I just think simcoe will kill your saaz.

I did a series of brews with the same grist, hopped similarly but with each noble hop + styrian goldings (each one being a single hop beer). Used US05 - refreshing drinker.

Back