Help Beer-filter Mk2 Help!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djackal

Reaction score
P1180033.JPG

Hi guys,

I need help quickly as I am about to lose a brew.

I'm trying to use this stoopid beer filer that i bought and the beer aint flowing (using gravity and not pump). What is going wrong? Also beer is leaking out of the bottome and I'm not sure why (It's full of beer so I can't check)

Please look at the photo and let me know where I am going wrong.

Cheers
Carl

View attachment 23998

Hi guys,

I'm trying to use this stoopid beer filer that i bought and the beer aint flowing (using gravity and not pump). What is going wrong? Also beer is leaking out of the bottome and I'm not sure why (It's full of beer so I can't check)

Cheers
Carl

Why the Retail Thread?

Can't really see much in the pic, but is it possible that an early flow of yeast from the tap has blocked the filter. If so stop filtering, clean the filter and start again. Did you bleed the air out before turning it upside down? As far as the leak is concerned have you installes the 'O' ring seal and/or is the filter sitting on the bleed button as it's is upside down. I never bother, I use mine right way up.

Screwy

View attachment 23998

Hi guys,

Cheers
Carl

Did u take the plastic off the stooopid beer filter cartridge?

RM

dosnt look like enough gravity to me try raising the fermenter a bit higher, not that i've ever filterd (gelatine ftw) but yea just putting it out there.

i know nothing about these filters, but couldnt you attach your co2 hose to the grommet hole of the fermenter and under low pressure force the beer through the filter?

of course make sure filter isnt blocked first.

Worst case, ditch the filter this time around and rack from the top straight into keg.

reVox

Isn't it up side down

try it the other way

Please correct me if im wrong but ive always seen these used the other way

Isn't it up side down

try it the other way

Please correct me if im wrong but ive always seen these used the other way

Makes no difference to the filter side of things

Works both ways up

I think the benefit of other way up is to have the filtering happening with no air around - as the inlet and outlet are completely submerged.

I reckon he has done a PP. Wrapper still on. Speaking to Ross - he uses the gravity method - doesnt take much longer than me who uses a perestaltic pump.

RM

Makes no difference to the filter side of things

Works both ways up

I think the benefit of other way up is to have the filtering happening with no air around - as the inlet and outlet are completely submerged.

I reckon he has done a PP. Wrapper still on. Speaking to Ross - he uses the gravity method - doesnt take much longer than me who uses a perestaltic pump.

RM

Thanks for the advice guys.

Ross actually gave us a call and made a couple of the above suggetions.

I'm pretty sure that the leak was due to a slight bit of pressure from the base to that red relaese button underneath. The leak stopped after that.

I did remove the plastic from the filter (although I did um and ah about that before I decided that surely the plastic should be removed!) before i started the filtering process.

In the end I tried raising the fermenter and removed the switch but it still didn't flow as i would like.
Instead I just filled 3 kegs with the beer directly and then used CO2 to push the beer through the filter into a 4th keg.

Will give the filter another crack with water next time (I should have done that before i tried with beer this time but took a short-cut) and find the best way of doing it.

Cheers again Ross for the help (especially with using those John Guest Tools) and to everyone else for their pointers.

Let's hope the beer turns out OK now (All-Grain Urquell clone with Bohemian Pilsner liquid yeast).

Regards
Carl

Latest posts

Back