HELP ! 6 cans of Morgans Australia Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
16600.jpg

Aledgedly a great VB style beer

Bloke on Gumtree sold off all his stuff cheap. Included 6 cans of this.

I'll brew 1 as per the instructions, but need some suggestions for the rest.

Clone recipes ?
Two-can combo ?
Dry hop ?

Tell us your tastes, which presumably take in more that VB or you wouldn't be asking.

Tell us your tastes, which presumably take in more that VB or you wouldn't be asking.
Morgans-recipe-chart-new-768x546.jpg

Personally not really my style of lager, I did used a Morgan's can (dockside stout) with the roasted malt extract and some fuggles to make a can Guinness clone, my brother tried the same thing with mangrove jacks version but his was awful I don't blame his ingredients though because his first time brewing he fermented way too hot and didn't condition. I had some of the Guinness clone I made last night it's been conditioned for around 3 weeks, it's pretty good no nitrated head tho obviously.

Nothing fundamentally wrong with that chart. If the instructions are to make up volume to 22.5L, some of those abv estimates seem too high even after sugar additions for carbonation are taken into account. The Red IPA uses a lot of dextrose. I'd sub a kg of dried malt extract for 800g of the dextrose.

For what it's worth, I suspect none of those example commercial lagers dry hop. On the other hand. those American ale styles, especially the IPAs, would use more.

About your six cans:

In a straight extract AIPA brew of that volume I'd try 2 cans of what you have + 400 g dex or 500 DME, do a hop stand with 40g Mosaic and dry hop with 20g Mosaic and 50g Galaxy (those two hops should get married). If PO gives those kit cans their bittering, at double concentration the IBUs would not be too awfully high, but the bittering might be a bit harsh. If you want more colour, caramelise some sugar (If the cans are more than a few months old, you'll get the colour anyway.)

For darker beers or continental lagers. maybe do partial mashes. Maybe mash 2,5 kg of Bopils, boil wort 60 minutes with 20g Saaz, add another 20g late, add stuff from the can, make up to volume and ferment with lager yeast at manufacturer;s recommended temp.

Last edited:
Nothing fundamentally wrong with that chart. If the instructions are to make up volume to 22.5L, some of those abv estimates seem too high even after sugar additions for carbonation are taken into account. The Red IPA uses a lot of dextrose. I'd sub a kg of dried malt extract for 800g of the dextrose.

For what it's worth, I suspect none of those example commercial lagers dry hop. On the other hand. those American ale styles, especially the IPAs, would use more.

In a straight extract APA brew of that volume I'd try 2 cans + 200 g dex or 250 DME, do a hop stand with 40g Mosaic and dry hop with 20g Mosaic and 50g Galaxy (those two hops should get married). For darker beers do partial mashes, if possible.
Your right about the abv by the way adding some is a good idea and is always good to have on hand for yeast starters, adjusting OG etc.
The dockside stout I did was with another tin of dark roasted malt extract, abv is 4.2 roughly calculated but yes it's a bit off its just meant to be a rough guide, my final gravity was a little higher (more unfermatables in the roasted extract) so I bottled it up when it stabilised all and all tho it's not a bad drop

About your six cans:

In a straight extract AIPA brew of that volume I'd try 2 cans of what you have + 400 g dex or 500 DME, do a hop stand with 40g Mosaic and dry hop with 20g Mosaic and 50g Galaxy (those two hops should get married). If PO gives those kit cans their bittering, at double concentration the IBUs would not be too awfully high, but the bittering might be a bit harsh. If you want more colour, caramelise some sugar (If the cans are more than a few months old, you'll get the colour anyway.)

Thank you, that sounds fun. I've got Galaxy, will get some Mosaic

Yeah they're a few months old, I'll take the colour that comes

Probably all isohop for the bitterness with maybe a smidge of PoR extract for aroma.

About your six cans:

In a straight extract AIPA brew of that volume I'd try 2 cans of what you have + 400 g dex or 500 DME, do a hop stand with 40g Mosaic and dry hop with 20g Mosaic and 50g Galaxy (those two hops should get married). If PO gives those kit cans their bittering, at double concentration the IBUs would not be too awfully high, but the bittering might be a bit harsh.

It's underway tonight.

Any particular time I should do the dry hop ? And for how long ?

I see talk around of Galaxy for 3 days only

It's underway tonight.

Any particular time I should do the dry hop ? And for how long ?

I see talk around of Galaxy for 3 days only
If you bottle carbonate, you only need to dry hop long enough to extract the oils; 24-48 hours is plenty. Bioconversion of oils will take place during carbonation. Most keggers dry hop 5 days or more, but with Galaxy, to best preserve that peachy quality I wouldn't go over three. Others will probably disagress.

I get peach, they say passion fruit, but that seems to be a buzzword with hop promoters.

I dry hopped 48 hours

Cold crashed tonight at 1018

The hops are nice and strong, I'm getting grapefruit, but the bitterness is high at the moment so that may be part of it

Looking forward to the conditioned ending, thanks again for the recipe.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back