Hello!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeje

Reaction score
I'm just getting starting in the world of home brewing. I only have the basic Morgans starter kit at the moment, and a temp controller and heat belt, but I'm really looking into the all grain stuff like robobrew or grainfather. I'm in Perth and only have my second beer fermenting at the moment. I started off with a Wheat beer, and it was pretty good, not great. Now I'm doing an IPA that hopefully will be awesome!

Welcome Leeje, I thing you’ll enjoy the IPA. You can slowly build up gear whilst enjoying kit brews. There is plenty of info here on BIAB (brew in a bag) as a good start to all grain.
Cheers

I'm just getting starting in the world of home brewing. I only have the basic Morgans starter kit at the moment, and a temp controller and heat belt, but I'm really looking into the all grain stuff like robobrew or grainfather. I'm in Perth and only have my second beer fermenting at the moment. I started off with a Wheat beer, and it was pretty good, not great. Now I'm doing an IPA that hopefully will be awesome!

Welcome aboard, I'm pretty new at all this too, I started off with the Morgans kit but soon moved to all grain BIAB with a Crown 40L urn - have not looked back, it's miles ahead of kit brews IMHO. Lots of good folk around here to help out, I've learnt a tonne, invaluable! Happy brewing!

Kit brews are a good way to get started as you do your apprenticeship with cleaning, sanitising, temperature control etc while the kit manufacturer does the hard work of making the wort for you.

Then when you have mastered the basics and can get on to making your own wort, you are well down the slippery slope. :D

I jumped straight into all grain with a guten. Been great fun so far, keep at it mate!

Cheers guys!
Yeah I'm just getting a hold of all the basics at the moment, and the beers aren't turning out quite right, though I think it's because of the yeast that I'm using. I'm really looking forward to the amount of versatility an all grain brew will be able to offer me.

So I've decided that my first AG brew is going to be a Hefeweizen.
I've decided to do 50% wheat with 40% pils and 10% corn.
Going with 3068 yeast and I haven't decided on the hops.
I'm going to have to learn how to do:
Cereal mashing
decoctions
Kräusen bottle fermenting
maybe Yeast starter if my pitch rate isn't high enough once I finalise the ingredients.

I'm pretty excited to get this started!

Can I suggest that you try (maybe for your next) a standard pre measured all grain recipe from your local supplier. Choose a couple of styles you know you like to drink, brew them as per instructions, then tweak it or use substitutes once you're confident to buy bulk quantities to make up your desired recipes.
I've just done this with a couple of styles I'm completely unfamiliar with to get an idea of where to base my future recipes.
As you're in Perth, I know a couple of suppliers that do these and can pm you the details if you'd like.

Latest posts

Back