Hello

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuwort

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Stu, I'm from Perth and I have just started brewing from home. I've always liked trying new beers and breweries and just thought making my own was the next step. I think it's all quite interesting. I'm engaged and have a 4 month old son, which makes brewing a great hobby as it can be done from home. I'm also a keen fisho, but with a young kid it's hard finding time to go.

My first brew was a ginger beer made from: Coopers kit
365g brown sugar
640g raw sugar
130g honey
100g thinly sliced ginger
1/2 tea spoon chilli powder (medium)
juice of one lemon
3 litres water for boil
Coopers yeast

This seems to be going really well, but the OG was only 1025. The alcohol content doesn't bother me although it will be interesting to see what it turns out at.

The second brew is as on my post in common ground, where I stuffed up and added 3 tablespoons of salt flakes. Seems to be going ok.

The next brew that I'd like to do would be a wit and then seperate the brew and do two halves, with the second half being a strawberry beer. Hopefully I can make this work. Does any one have a good wit recipe, starting with a can?

Thanks

Stu

Are you after a belgian wit, like hoegarden, or a german hefeweizen ?
The german wheat is ok with tins, thomas cooper wheat beer kit and tin of coopers wheat malt, use wb06 or better wyeast 3068. Ive done this with frozen raspberries on third day of ferment, full batch between 1-2 kg. Frozen strawberries would work too.

Only do all grain brews these days and have made a lot of wits, which i use raw wheat and oats plus some pils, would struggle imo with a kit.
You could try the above tins with a dry belgian yeast or the wyeast wit yeast and see how it turns out.
Cheers
sean

Are you after a belgian wit, like hoegarden, or a german hefeweizen ?
The german wheat is ok with tins, thomas cooper wheat beer kit and tin of coopers wheat malt, use wb06 or better wyeast 3068. Ive done this with frozen raspberries on third day of ferment, full batch between 1-2 kg. Frozen strawberries would work too.

Only do all grain brews these days and have made a lot of wits, which i use raw wheat and oats plus some pils, would struggle imo with a kit.
You could try the above tins with a dry belgian yeast or the wyeast wit yeast and see how it turns out.
Cheers
sean

Thanks Seamad. I will probably go with that recipe, using wb06. Cheers.

Not sure about others, but from my experience you will get so much better results with 3068 or any other of the liquid wheat yeasts.

A wheat beer is all about the yeast, so don't skimp on that ingredient. I made wheats with wb06 before that were near undrinkable.

No need to build a starter with 3068, just dump the whole pack into the wort as is and ferment at 20 degrees for a great banana/clove balance. No need to aerate the wort either from my experience.

Latest posts

Back