Hello to all!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SheBrew

Reaction score
Hello everyone :icon_cheers:

It's been a while since I've brewed. I'm going to try an old recipe using the old method of the bucket wish me luck :blink:

Cheers

SB

Good luck mate. You talking open fermentation? I have been wanting to try this also. Hope to see some photos of your efforts.

Hi djar,

Yep, I'm going to try open fermentation! I've spoken to a few people here in Bundy, they're all saying it's too much trouble. But, I've always wanted to try so here goes

You'll need somewhere out of the draughts and dust - I've often thought of doing an open fermentation "Yorkshire Stone Square" sort of brew but at a loss to find a suitable place to put the fermenter.

What yeast would you be using? Recommend Wyeast 1469 Yorkshire, or Wyeast 1187 Ringwood as top croppers (also 1968)

I'd thought of maybe making a simple fermentation "cabinet" out of cool room panel materials and doing it in there. With the cooler weather coming along (even in Bundy) this would be a good time of year to get something happening. I've often thought that the interaction between the beer and the air would give a different character to closed fermentation, the Poms have been doing it for hundreds of years.

Best of luck anyway and please post results.

During my research on open fermentation, I've read about someone who ferments their beer in food-grade plastic garbage bins!! Hmm, I was thinking of those 50 Ltr plastic bucket you use for storing grain and wheat for the horses. They are easy to get hold of at the local stock feed place.

Back