Hello to AHB from Eden Hill, Western Australia

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredbloke3

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I've finally joined and posting after months/years of sneaking around various websites searching for ideas and brew set up ideas.

I've brewed about 20-30 extract kits and have slowly evolved from basic sloppy laundry sink brewing and mallet capping to a more refined, santised extract brew with temperature control and even a homemade kegerator with 4x19L kegs. See attachments.

I happily managed to brew a very nice lager which was served on tap at my wedding and also a bottled version as a bonbonniere for the blokes. Through that experience, I've dabbled in labelmaking and the idea of a micro start up... but damn it looks complicated/heavy initial investment/time intensive... Any thoughts on this welcome too. Would love to have the discussion.

I'm having a garage extended in the next few months and am hoping to set up an all-grain gravity fed system. Don't know much about this or all-grain so any advice or pointing in the right direction is very much appreciated! Hoping to do it on some sort of a budget, not keen on upgrading throughout the process though - want something reliable I can use and re-use.

Hoping to win a few medals at local shows soon too... so watch out ;)

Thanks for the welcome.

IMAG0229.jpgIMAG0438.jpg

So next time we run out of beer in Basso we can come drain the taps at your joint?

Haha well you might struggle... The kegerator has been empty for a while now.

Re-opening the brewery in about 2 months once the garage is up, then the beer operations department will be full steam ahead.

Welcome Fred! You know, I actually miss mallet capping. I still bottle and for some weird reason preferred the mallet to the SuperAutomatica. Look forward to hearing about your new brewery.

Ok so an update. It's been a few years and a lot has changed.

The garage renovation happened... which is great. But not so great is that I was diagnosed caeliac. Boom. Quite the wet blanket on a burning desire to start a business based around drinking copious variances of liquid wheat.

The garage brewery shut down for a few years while I looked after my health but am happy to say that Fred's Brewshack has launched with a smaller scope (and direction) in mind. I now brew fresh wort kits from the LHBS and add in White Labs clarity ferm. The stuff is amazing. I've now brewed three to four normal beers and thrown in some of that during pitching of the yeast and have had no issues with gluten. Fred's Brewshack focuses on events rather than beer, but having three taps available certainly convinces friends to attend. And return.

So that's where I'm at. Thanks for the welcome.

Yo Fred be sure to throw your recipes and experiences up, some of us have family members/friends with caeliacs i'd be good to put down a brew for them!
tried looking around for gf alternatives and wasnt sure if clarity ferm was a go or not.

Hi Fred. Good news hey. Of course you don't need me to teach grandad how to suck eggs but obviously being a coeliac you are set off by gluten. Gluten is simply the protein found in many grains such as wheat, barley etc.
Chill haze is protein chucked out of the beer as a haze and, coming from the barley and other grains, is no doubt rich in gluten. Normally you would drink all that. So remove that protein (or most of it) by using something like clarityferm and you are getting rid of many of the proteins that obviously trigger you off.

LC here on the forum is one of our chief scientists and no doubt has more info, but great that you are getting results. Happy brewing.

Back