Hello, new Tassie Brewer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kudzu

Reaction score
So I've been intending to start brewing for a long time now, but that's pretty much as far as I ever got. Until the girlfriend got me a Copper Tun brew kit for my birthday a few weeks ago. Well it seems that's all it took, I've been bitten by the bug hard.

Since then I've been reading everything I can find on brewing, including these forums. I've bought myself an old fridge for fermenting and have a STC-1000 on the way. I've got pretty much all the gear I'll need to start doing BIAB, including making my own immersion chiller on Saturday. I've got another kit to put down first, then I think I'll try practicing with a few full volume extract boils, with crystal and hops before venturing down the AG path. I did do a test run with all my gear yesterday to get an idea of heating time, evaporation rate and chill time and everything worked pretty well. The chiller got me from boiling to sub 20C in about 25 minutes with water straight from the garden hose, which I thought was pretty good

I bottled the K&K that came with the kit over the weekend, it didn't taste bad out of the hydro flask, but did taste like "home brew", from what I've read that's probably a combination or poor temperature control (think I pitched at about 26C) and the kilo of dextrose that went in there. Anyway, we'll see how it is once it's been in the bottle for a couple of weeks, though I'm not expecting too much. Next kit will be with DME, possibly with a mini hop boil as well.

Anyway I think I've rambled on long enough now, just really excited to have started this new hobby and wanted to say hi.

Hi welcome to the forum and the world of homebrew. Sounds as though you are going on the right lines.

Whereabouts in Tassie are you?

cheers

Ian

CamM said:
Welcome to the pastime/hobby/lifestyle!
Thanks CamH.

ianh said:
Hi welcome to the forum and the world of homebrew. Sounds as though you are going on the right lines.

Whereabouts in Tassie are you?

cheers

Ian
Thanks Ian, hope I'm on the right track, I've outlayed a reasonable amount of dosh considering I'm yet to taste the fruits of my labour. Probably could have done things cheaper if I was more patient, but I'm a sucker for the online shops. :unsure:

I'm near Lilydale, which is just north of Launceston.

Kudzu said:
Thanks CamH.

Thanks Ian, hope I'm on the right track, I've outlayed a reasonable amount of dosh considering I'm yet to taste the fruits of my labour. Probably could have done things cheaper if I was more patient, but I'm a sucker for the online shops. :unsure:

I'm near Lilydale, which is just north of Launceston.
Pretty sure you've got a fellow BIABer out there in Swizzle. Nice part of the state, bakery/pub does a very decent pie. And then hedghog slice on my way back into town. Welcome anywho......Once the bug bites, home brewing can become an expensive way to make cheap beer. Doesn't have to mind you, but extra bits and pieces can keep appearing.

Welcome aboard Kudzu -sounds a lot like how I started - got a kit, did a few extracts then whamo - all grain with in 6 months. Anyway if you get up this way - NW Tassie, give me a buzz and drop in for a beer and a chat.
Cheers
David
p.s. - Dont trust them Lonnie brewers - full of all sorts of skullduggery they are.

jlm said:
Pretty sure you've got a fellow BIABer out there in Swizzle. Nice part of the state, bakery/pub does a very decent pie. And then hedghog slice on my way back into town. Welcome anywho......Once the bug bites, home brewing can become an expensive way to make cheap beer. Doesn't have to mind you, but extra bits and pieces can keep appearing.
Of course I do, why wouldn't there be someone else from my town of 300 odd people on a national home brew forum? The pubs improved a fair bit since being under new ownership, though a coat of paint won't stop it from looking like an oversized toilet block.

LagerBomb said:
Welcome aboard Kudzu -sounds a lot like how I started - got a kit, did a few extracts then whamo - all grain with in 6 months. Anyway if you get up this way - NW Tassie, give me a buzz and drop in for a beer and a chat.
Cheers
David
p.s. - Dont trust them Lonnie brewers - full of all sorts of skullduggery they are.
Cheers, LagerBomb. Once I found out about AG home brewing I knew instantly that's where I wanted to head, I like making things from scratch. I haven't been to Burnie in years, but I'll make sure to let you know if I'm heading that way. Good beer's always a nice incentive.

Welcome Kudzu. its great to have another Tassie brewer.

Make sure you keep an eye on the Tasmanian Brewers Club section of the forum for info about meetups and brew days and other skullduggery :ph34r:

LagerBomb said:
Cheers
David
Welcome Kudzu, your setting your feet on a steep and slippery path...AG here we come.
Don't trust the guys from Burnie either...Burnie is not part of the NW of Tassie!
NW of Tassie starts just west of Stanley.
If you ever around Smithton drop me a line.

Cheers
Chris

It certainly wasnt original - and probably not even funny....

But someone had to make the obligatory tasmanian inbred joke.

Seeing as I am bored at work and had some time to fill in I felt it wa my duty to step up and do it.

When we say SWMBO we refer to our wives - so do the Tasmanians but it stands for "Sister Who Must be Obeyed"

TasChris said:
Welcome Kudzu, your setting your feet on a steep and slippery path...AG here we come.
Don't trust the guys from Burnie either...Burnie is not part of the NW of Tassie!
NW of Tassie starts just west of Stanley.
If you ever around Smithton drop me a line.

Cheers
Chris
I'm honorary NW Tassie then - Very strong family ties in Smithton. Not that thats anything to brag about. Anyway, us Burnie boys are way more trustwothy than those pirates in Lonnie.

LagerBomb said:
I'm honorary NW Tassie then - Very strong family ties in Smithton. Not that thats anything to brag about. Anyway, us Burnie boys are way more trustwothy than those pirates in Lonnie.
I agree about Launie folk...They think they are a suburb of Hobart.
I am still a mainlander after all as I haven't been here for 25 years yet.

I love the regional warfare that happens around the state

It's funny how a place that is so small is so regional. Devonport people are anti-Launnie. Hobart and Launnie are always at each other. I was told by a local who has living in the mainland and came back that some people don't even visit the other half of the island, let alone get off it at all.

Launnie is a really nice looking place in the CBD/Inner suburbs. There are some nice towns around the North. The NW is beautiful and Devonport is....Well....adequate. Actually it's not that bad. The houses along the Mersey are really nice and the bluff is fantastic. Everything grows here and eventually I'll try to get something growing myself.

I said (at my first day of work) that I was awaiting my 2nd head being attached. Didn't go down too well. But it's easy for them to pay out the mainland, but not be paid out. Whereas I reckon you put something on the table and all is fair game.

Beautiful place though. And food tastes better here.

The regionality is great. I hate those pricks on the East Tamar so much......Then there's this conspiracy that Lagerbomb's managed to create in his head that we're all out to get him (We're still having that meeting about him next week right?.....In that thread Nathan started?)
Most of the guys I work with generally assume I'm going to come out with a sister ******* joke as soon as they bring the mainlander stuff out.

TasChris said:
I am still a mainlander after all as I haven't been here for 25 years yet.
Ahhhhh. When I moved here I spent a fair amount of time at the Exeter pub, mostly watching cricket ('cause our container hadn't arrived and we had no TV) but also getting a feel for the place. Would always have a chat to this this bloke for a while, at one point he complained about all the mainlanders buying up all the property on the river here. Anyway, after bringing up that my folks were from Melbourne's east he came out with..."Yeah, I'm from Dandenong, but I moved out once all the Turks moved in". Great moment.

What conspiracy - I know its the truth - anyway, its always good to have some light hearted banter between us Taswegians.
Most of the rivalries stem from either football or beer. Burnie had 2 football teams in the NWFU (going back quite a few years ago). Cooee and Burnie and never the twain shall meet - still rears its ugly head in the pub now and then. That sort of rivalry went along the coast, in fact all over Tassie. Me, I dont like City South ( an ols Launceson team) and Clarence from Hobart. As far as beer goes - Oatlands I think had a line drawn cross the bar - one side was boags, the other was cascade.
I'm born and bred Tassie boy - but that doesnt always make you a local, the distrust can be there if you werent born in the town. I lived in Waratah for a while, and you had to be 2nd generation to be a local in that town. I got along well with the locals because I got involved with local sports etc. After 6 years they still stared at you when you walked into the Pub ( which I did very often).
I always love a good 2 headed Tasmania joke - just havent heard one for about 20 years. Its like when people call me ugly (My surname is Grey) I always laugh and say "yeah good one - never herad that before) And TasChris - after 25 years if your not a local, but you can have an honorary citizenship
Anyway, gotta go. Trying to figure out how to set up a spy camera for the meeting next week. I dont trust you Lonnie boys.
Cheers
LagerBomb

Edit: Dam I spelt my name wrong

Back