Hello from Canbrewer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeeFar

Reaction score
Hi,

Brewed out of tins for a few years back in the mid 2000s. Got adventurous with some hops, different dry malts as well as honey, jam, etc. Festidious with cleaning and out of 10+ brews only ever lost one that had massive carbonation and drinking it turned you into a burping machine.

Keen to get back into it. A lot to remember and a lot to learn. The plan is starting with a few standard canned extract brews, IPAs, dark ales, etc. and gradually expand until I reach mash/grain/etc.

Fave beers are Coopers Sparkling, Bentspoke Crankshaft/Red Nut, Lord Nelson Dark, Coopers Extra Stout, Modus Sonic Dream/Former Tenant, Vale IPA, Feral Karma Citra, Pirate Life Mosiac/IPA/DIPA, Capital Brewing Red Eye, PAct Brickworks Brown Ale, Wayward Midnight Cowboy Hoppy Porter..., I should probably stop now.

Sagittarius, long walks on beach, love animals (BBQ'd), will try anything if you distract the wife.

Great taste in beers mate! Welcome back to the craft

Welcome SeeFar, being Sagittarius is a good thing, we are the jolly people. Some of the old Thomas Cooper brews you can’t get any more although their current selection is up there imo.
What’s your first brew going to be this time round?

Thanks, folks. First brew will be a Thomas Cooper IPA just to ge tthings rolling, clear out the cob webs and audit my kit to see what's working and what else is required. Still have a few odds and ends to pick up. Unfortunately the only local shop of any great worth is right down the other end of town and the postage costs for a lot of online shops make buying things online unworkable (not sure what the go is there - I can get bike parts sent from the UK for AUD$8 in 4 days but it costs me AUD$23 to get some little pieces of plastic and what not sent from another state in the country?!).

Where about are you as others near you may know where you can purchase without high postage costs.
Ps I enjoy the TC ipa, nicely hopped for me.

Welcome mate.

Canbrewer = Canberra maybe?

Thanks, yes, Indeed.

MTB = mountain bike maybe?

If so - Cannondale 1FG, Cannondale Chase, Trek Remedy 9, Commencal Supreme Racing.

I'm a sucker for expensive hobbies, much to the wife's dismay.

Thanks, yes, Indeed.

MTB = mountain bike maybe?

If so - Cannondale 1FG, Cannondale Chase, Trek Remedy 9, Commencal Supreme Racing.

I'm a sucker for expensive hobbies, much to the wife's dismay.
Nope.. just my initials. I'm quite lazy.

Good having you on board. I'm guessing you're Northside? Kambah are a great LHBS and they deserve your bidness - but if you're in a pinch, Belco Brew Supplies are good too. Steve runs it but also has his day job so pickups are usually after hours or on weekends. He stocks Voyager malt though (as do Kambah) which is grown in the Riverina. No huge yeast selection like Kambah but it has the necessities and it's sure as hell better than Butts 'n' Brew in Kaleen who don't even refrigerate their dry yeast packets. Heathens!

Gents,

Yep, on the northside and dropped into butts and brew on the weekend and felt dirty when I left (not to be rude about them but it seemed that brewing wasn't their focus, the person behind the counter couldn't advise me on anything). I plan on dropping into Kambah this weekend, it has a great reputation.

Hoppy days seems to have more reasonable postage rates. Happy to send some business their way. Also will hook up with Canberra Brewers once I've got my legs under me again.

..oh and the Canberra Stainless Steel Purchasing Club.
President- mtb, Secretary- mtb, Treasurer- mtb and guess who the member is?:rolleyes:
We have jackets!

..well, jacketed fermenters. But it's basically the same thing.

Didn't know where else to post this and figured the noobest of the noob sections would probably be just as it may not be a recipe worth following.

Just finished a brew that read like this:

1X tin of Coopers Amber
1X tin of Coopers light unhopped
120gm Caraaroma
210gm Medium Crystal
55gm Roast Barley (placed in the grain bag for the sparging process only)
225gm Maltodextrin
100gm Dry DME
130gm Dex
30gm Simcoe 60mins
30gm Amarillo 10 mins
30gm Citra 10 mins
40gm Chinook (whirlpool, or at least my equivalent - just as the wort is transferred to the ice bath I chucked it in and left it there for 12min swirling it around every couple of mins)

OG 1062

All I can taste is the malt, can't detect much hops at all (although I am a few sheets to the wind, so who knows)

I plan on dry hopping with Galaxy and something else that I haven't made up my mind about.

IF it comes out the way I want it, it will be a hoppy summer red.
If not, it's a malty Xmas amber.

Latest posts

Back