Hello From California

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Picobrew

Reaction score
Working late and trolling the web when I came across your site. I've been home brewing for some time, doing the normal work up from concentrate to mini-mash to whole grain. Now I'm part owner of a brewing equipment company in the US. I don't really want to take part in the forums here as I would be biased or seen as biased on various issues. Since we do not sell to Australia I thought I would join.

There is also the hope to pick up some more brewing knowledge from a different area of the world. Then of course, any new receipe is always welcome. I currently brew about 2-3 times per week.

Regards,

Jim

Welcome Jim to Australia, home of Brew- in- a- Bag and No- Chill :)

What sort of equipment? Forum members buy a lot of stuff from the USA such as Yakima Valley hops, Monster Mills, lighter items such as keg fittings, gas regulators, taps etc - it all depends on the postage of course. Commercial members are welcome to sell in the "Retailers" section of the forum as well as being just general members.

:super:

Yep, we make the zymatic. I'm actually a fan of the no chill- I have not noticed any DMS buildup or any other of flavors. And the brew in a bag was a heck of a lot less messy!

Looks like a cool machine! 3.5 gallons into the fermenter though.... is that going to fly when ppl are so used to 5 gallons?
Hope it does though! It looks great!

Welcome to Aus!

we hope it brings more people into home brewing, they wont be used to the higher volume. Too many of my friends slowly gave it up due to time or effort constraints. I know more former brewers than current brewers at this point. I'm hoping to lure some of them back by making it a bit easier to brew.

To be honest I can understand why there would be rather less motivation to brew in the US as compared to here - you guys have a vast quantity and range of very cheap (relative to us) and high quality craft beer freely available.

Yeah, there are a lot available. What's the price of a craft beer there? Here a six pack of 12 ounce is about US $8.00, looks like your dollar is about on a par with ours.

Holy X$%#! No wonder the brewing community is strong, that's robbery! How much can you legally brew per adult per year? Here it's 100 gallons.

20/6 is for tolerable beer. If you want something fancy or >8%ABV, like Mikkeller or Nogne O they can easily be $12 - 25 plus per bottle.

No restriction as far as I know... (welcome BTW)

The reason beer is expensive here is that there is a big slug of excise tax in there. Even a carton of megaswill is $45. That's 24 375ml bottles (12oz I think). Of something that is the equivalent of bud.

Your alcohol taxes are much, much lower over there.

Cheers
dave

For perspective, megabrewed swill is usually more than $15 / six pack.

and we have healthcare.

Why isn't everyone brewing there? I'd go broke paying that much. how much does grain and extract cost per beer there?

Liam,

Not sure you need the health care if nobody can afford to drink beer. Here, no health care but lot's of beer. go figure.

25kg sack of grain (50lb or thereabouts) is about $50-60 depending on what you get. Hops $10 for a 100g (ummm... 4oz?) pack. Less if you can buy in bulk. Not sure about extract. Been years since I bought any.

Like you said... a lot of us brew.

Mind you a lot of us are lazy bums who don't mind being robbed blind over crappy beer. They drink VB or New, always have, always will.

Cheers
Dave

Hmm. Ok doing some math. figuring in a bar here versus there your savings drinking good beer here versus there (call it $8 per beer), and a airline round trip ticket, if you came here to visit and drank about 180 beers it would essentially pay for the ticket. Of course that doesn't count hotel rooms and food. But heck, at that many beers you probably would not be eating and would be sleeping in the gutter anyway.

Savings are even greater if someone else is buying... Your shout mate!

Latest posts

Back