Helix

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazy

Reaction score
Has anyone used a helix to stop hop trub.
I brew in a keggle and don’t use a hop sock.
I have thought about using a ss scrubber on the pick up or using a sock as well. I am concerned the helix would get clogged.
There ends up being a lot of trub however the beer clears during cold crash. Anyone used a helix.

Attachments

• 9B09B099-E780-4BB7-8673-972C42D6D693.png
    9B09B099-E780-4BB7-8673-972C42D6D693.png
    386.3 KB · Views: 15
I have thought about using a ss scrubber on the pick up or using a sock as well. I am concerned the helix would get clogged.
I’ve only been using one for a few months but I think they would be near impossible to clog up.

Brewed a few weeks ago and added late hops after whirlpool no problem. What I did was whirlpool and let it settle for about 5 mins then recirculated with a pump for about 10 mins then connected a plate chiller and continued to recirculate till wort was about 80c in the kettle. Then added hops gave it about another 2-3 mins and chilled to fermenter. The late hops had completely covered the coil but flow was fine and wort Crystal clear. If anything the hops covering the coil helped filter the wort.

I have used on in both mash tun and kettle.

It seems to work really well in the mash tun to collect the wort evenly across the grain bed and I get very high mash efficiencies.

I have stopped using it in the kettle as I am able to clog it up a treat even with whirl-pooling etc and cannot run it through the chiller, which has spoiled a couple of brews for me.

If it gets clogged, just put your stainless mash paddle in it and give it a twist.
I've also found with the bazooka on the end of the helix it flows quite well.
It's all in the first minute of this video.

I have stopped using it in the kettle as I am able to clog it up a treat even with whirl-pooling etc and cannot run it through the chiller
That really surprises me, your experience is the opposite to mine. I haven’t had any clogging or even noticed any reduction in flow. I do run the pump fairly slowly though. Do you run your pump full bore? Perhaps compacting trub around the coil?

That really surprises me, your experience is the opposite to mine. I haven’t had any clogging or even noticed any reduction in flow. I do run the pump fairly slowly though. Do you run your pump full bore? Perhaps compacting trub around the coil?
Yep run the pump full flow to whirlpool and chill, I agree that is the problem, I've just gone back to using a couple of hop spiders and everything is good again.

Back