Heffe Weiss to Cloudy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FaanPret

Reaction score
Hi,

I entered my first competion with my Heffe Weiss this weekend and scored a 32, which translates to Very Good but with some flawes. One of the flawes the judges reported on was the bear was to cloudy/hazy for the style - apparently to much suppended protiens.

How do I reduce amount of protiens in the beer? Will it help if I do protein rest during Mashing?

Thanks
Faan

How long had it been in the bottle? How far did it travel before the comp and did it have a chance to settle before judging? Recipe?

Got a pic of the beer??

Experienced judges????

Screwy

It did travel 200k's and no - not really time to settle. Will post a picture later today.

A hefe is meant to be cloudy - from yeast, "hefe" is german for yeast. Protein haze can result from a number of factors from the mash, the boil, the chill...

What was the competition? Sounds like a local show comp without experienced judges.

or very experienced judges who could spot the difference between protein haze and suspended yeast

The beer would have protein haze and suspended yeast as part of its specs and shouldn't be marked down for it unless it was so "chunky you could carve it" (with a Scottish accent).

You just don't want that yeast in suspension in your hefe :D :lol: :lol:

NewtownClown said:
This may throw some light on the subject for you
Protein Haze in Beer
This is awesome - thanks a million.

I already found one or two things to improve on - I never return my first runnings to the mash tun - will do it next time, and I think my sparge volume is way to high ....

shouldn't this be in the first world problems thread? my lite lagers are coming out bland and way to clear, what should I do?

You want a weizen "mit hefe" not yeast with beer. I crash chill this style for 2 days post ferment and then rack to keg. There is more than enough yeast in suspension to give the right appearance and flavour without excessive turbidity from taking over too much yeast.

Maybe thats what the judge was alluding to?

Back