Hefeweizen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philired1

Reaction score
I am going to brew a hefeweizen in my Keg King Junior fermenter. As this is my first wheat beer to brew under pressure what psi should i set my spunding valve to. Will also be using M20 yeast as it will be an 11l batch. Will use about two thirds of a packet. Cheaper to waste dry yeast than liquid. The malt is 60/40 wheat pils. What temp should i ferment at. I have heard i should do an acid rest but as i only use my 19l kettle to brew and mash is this necessary. I know M20 has a pitching range 18-30 degrees. Looking for a quick turnaround. It will be kegged. My fermentation fridge is temp controlled.

Sounds good. If it were me I would use the whole pack of yeast though! Why have a few grams of leftover sitting around?

I would probably just pitch the whole lot, too. But if you really didn't want to waste anything and wanted to stick to your original plan you could throw in the other third with 15 minutes left in the boil. It'll become yeast nutrient as the dead yeast will be consumed by the good stuff.... unless that's just an old brewing wive's tale.

The pressure will reduce the esters from the yeast that you might want in a wheat beer. Often wheat beers are fermented in fermenters with lots of head space because of the vigorous fermentation and it said that it can enhance yeast character in the finished beer. Again if it is the process that you want to trail then go ahead.

Hefeweizen yeast will taste very clean and lose the flavours that you would usually associate with hefes if you over-pitch the yeast or the brewing conditions are too favourable. I've learnt that the hard way by brewing on top of an existing yeast cake. The resulting beer just ends up tasting like a blonde ale. I would pitch half a pack if you want the banana to come through - it shouldn't add more than 24 hours to FG compared to overpitching. Also. ramp it up from 18 to 24 after 2 days for moderate banana or just 20 for light banana. Good luck!

The pressure will reduce the esters from the yeast that you might want in a wheat beer. Often wheat beers are fermented in fermenters with lots of head space because of the vigorous fermentation and it said that it can enhance yeast character in the finished beer. Again if it is the process that you want to trail then go ahead.
Trial

Latest posts

Back