Heatproofing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lobsta

Reaction score
Hey there guys,

I am living in a rental apartment in a block of flats. As such, I'm not sure how stoked the neighbours would be with me burning rings into the lawn every time I do a brew like I used to when I was at home. I have my own garage space, but am hesitant to put the burner on the concrete for an hour long boil after hearing horror stories about air pockets heating up and exploding burning hot chips of concrete everywhere; which I think the landlord and neighbours would be equally un-stoked with.

What heatproofing solutions do you guys have that might be able to help me here? My first thought is asbestos matting like I used to use in the chemistry labs, but I'm not sure if that is even available any more, and if it is, where to get a bit big enough.

Any thoughts?

Lobby

Hey there guys,

I am living in a rental apartment in a block of flats. As such, I'm not sure how stoked the neighbours would be with me burning rings into the lawn every time I do a brew like I used to when I was at home. I have my own garage space, but am hesitant to put the burner on the concrete for an hour long boil after hearing horror stories about air pockets heating up and exploding burning hot chips of concrete everywhere; which I think the landlord and neighbours would be equally un-stoked with.

What heatproofing solutions do you guys have that might be able to help me here? My first thought is asbestos matting like I used to use in the chemistry labs, but I'm not sure if that is even available any more, and if it is, where to get a bit big enough.

Any thoughts?

Lobby

Any reason why you cant buy/make(or get one made) a stand to suit your burner???

you wont be able to get any of that. you could use a sheet of fibercement sheeting

See if you can get some of that cement fibre board. I don't use any heatproofing on my concrete floor, but if I did I would use that.

See, all these solutions sound obvious to you guys, but my job involves repeatedly sticking labels onto boxes and telling people what the date is, so cut me some slack.

How high a stand would you recommend at minimum?
Fibercement? Bunnings?
Wouldn't bricks pose the same risk as cement? Except they can explode sideways AND upways?

+1 for the fiber sheeting got any building going on around you look in there scrap piles as they use it under the eves of houses its about 6mm thick so I would use 2 or 3 layers

See, all these solutions sound obvious to you guys, but my job involves repeatedly sticking labels onto boxes and telling people what the date is, so cut me some slack.

How high a stand would you recommend at minimum?
Fibercement? Bunnings?
Wouldn't bricks pose the same risk as cement? Except they can explode sideways AND upways?

logic suggests at a height that is comfortable to use and such that you can easily fill a cube / feermenter without having to lift it.

here's one I prepared earlier.

1.JPG

Bunnings do indeed sell ccement sheet

2.JPG

common clay bricks do not explode, may crack but should not go bang, the fact is that bricks are kilned to begin with so are more tolerant of heat... I have no understanding of the science behind this, it's just my assumption. I know of lots of people who use bricks without incident.

logic suggests at a height that is comfortable to use and such that you can easily fill a cube / feermenter without having to lift it.

View attachment 51383

That is the cement sheet stuff you're referring to? AKA villaboard if the google is to be believed?

And again, stickers, boxes, the date. The extent of my logical deduction involves checking the computer to find out what the date is...

Also, I need me one of those wheel burner surround thingys... Look out neighbourhood cars. Though not sure how useful it will be with my burner, as it already has a 4-5 inch stand that it is welded to so the heat can still escape out the bottom.

here's one I prepared earlier.

View attachment 51382

Bunnings do indeed sell ccement sheet

View attachment 51383

common clay bricks do not explode, may crack but should not go bang, the fact is that bricks are kilned to begin with so are more tolerant of heat... I have no understanding of the science behind this, it's just my assumption. I know of lots of people who use bricks without incident.

Nice use of an old rim. I would never have thought of using that.

I also use a couple sheets of that cement fibre board stuff, no exploding garage floors yet (touch wood).

Also, I need me one of those wheel burner surround thingys... Look out neighbourhood cars. Though not sure how useful it will be with my burner, as it already has a 4-5 inch stand that it is welded to so the heat can still escape out the bottom.

er... heat.. out the bottom? piccies would help understand this better..

in reality a stand can be made from pretty much anything, take the seat off a chair for example, instant kettle stand.

I like to use things that are laying about the joint or find them on the footpath and mold them to my needs. Total cost for my brewstand was a few welding rods and a few cutting wheels for the grinder..

LINK here to the build photo's I took.

Wheel rims are definately the easiest. Go to your nearest tip shop/ recycler/ car wrecker with the diameter of your keg in hand (that's measured across the round bit for box sticking people).

Weld 3 legs on as 3 legs will always balance but 4 will always rock....

boiler9.jpg

My woodfired pizza oven is made out of bricks...common reds...no problem with them handling the heat...
You can use a piece of villaboard ( brand name ) or cement sheet...but if your burner is on a stand , you will be fine.
IMHO , the concrete floor shouldn't explode with a burner on it...hell my burner is on a stand which gets set up on a timber deck...have not burnt the deck , ever....
You'll be fine mate...stop stressing...save that for when you don't have any air lock activity :ph34r:
Ferg

Lobsta,

If you want to be safe, just pop around to your local scrapyard or demolition yard & pick up an off cut of aluminium, steel or stainless sheet; this will disperse the heat with no worries.

Cheers Ross

An old stool or even a milk crate with a big clay paver ,400/450 mm square ,on top will do .Or even paver on the floor is ok.

Latest posts

Back