Heating Elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slimy frog

Reaction score
I while back I saw some pictures in the gallery (I think it was titled: the poor mans Stainless) about how to install some heating elements into a plastic bucket. I was basically wanting to get the same elements (I think they were out of kettles you buy at kmart etc..) and install them into my SS HLT and boiler. Any info or better still any pictures would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Jim

Slimey

The Belle kettle WITH the cord is the one to get. Always under $10 at Big W.

36mm hole saw from memory was perfect for plastic. Not sure what you woudl use for SS.

Keep in mind this is all a bit dodgy - water and electricity not mixing etc etc.. - so take precautions. Plug into one of those life saver switches, etc.

cheers - PM

i'm with plastic man, i got two of those heavy duty safety switches. they cost a lot but sure bets the other option.

as for stainless, not to sure. might be safer to get a sparky to wire up a bigger (wattage) element.

check out batz's gallery pictures.

I mounted these elements in my keg HLT. It was slow going but I drilled the biggest hole I could then just filed it out with a round file until the element fitted nicely. When the hole gets a bit bigger the files with a flat surface on one side and a curved surface on the otherside work well (use the curved side ;) ). Not as hard as you may think.

Cheers, Justin

Hey plasticman,

If I remember correctly, you had an excellent set of picture on the gallery of the kettle elements and how you mounted them onto your boiler/kettle.

Any chance of posting the pictures? Would be a great help if you could

cheers

SF

SF

no worries - but I'm having trouble attaching pics.

HELP !! - Probably a stupid question - but how do I attach a pic to a post. I've checked the help file and done what it sas but still having dramas. I click on the file I want to attach, then click on Attach File, it seems to think about it for a while and then a blank screen opens and everything stops.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers - Richard.

Plastic Man, If your image is on your PC, browse to it using the Browse button in the Attachments section below the "Enter your Post" window. Then click on the "Add this attachment" button. If it is hosted on your webspace, click the IMG button above the posting window and enter it's URL.

Plastic Man said:
SF

no worries - but I'm having trouble attaching pics.

HELP !! - Probably a stupid question - but how do I attach a pic to a post. I've checked the help file and done what it sas but still having dramas. I click on the file I want to attach, then click on Attach File, it seems to think about it for a while and then a blank screen opens and everything stops.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers - Richard.
[post="46873"][/post]​

Its a bug with the new forum software. Some types of jpg files are not loading. Dane has asked the software guys to look at the bug.

cheers guys - it was a JPEG file I was trying to upload.

Slimey - PM me your email and I'll email the pics tomorrow.

cheers - Richard.

Back