Heating elements - voltage control

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spog said:
Slightly OT but as a power output control would an electric ceiling fan speed control box do the same job ?
Cheers.....spog.....
Not really ot. As the original poster posted one which requires alot more technical knowledge. Yes a ceiling fan speed control would do the same thing depending on the size of it, most of them are barely rated at 2a

Hi guys. Have to recommend five star distilling elements. Best elements by far! Super awesome site and products. I have a couple of them and never had a problem.

IMG_20140204_185146.jpg
Picture of the element with diy element guard

IMG_20140204_184941.jpg
The guards

IMG_20140302_154215.jpg
IMG_20140218_165057.jpg
IMG_20140218_165029.jpg
Some pics of the element and voltage control box

QldKev said:
I used the first one for a while on a smaller element, it worked great. But when I put it onto a 2,200w Keg King element it would not control it, the element just stayed at 100%. I'm not sure why, since the controller is rated to a lot more. In true form the Keg King element blew up, but I have not tried the controller on the new element..

Get your sparky to build a voltage controller using a resistence SSR and a pot, it works a treat with everything I have tried it with.
inside_zpsc956388f.jpg

btw, there is a heat sink mounted behind the SSR
A bit slow with this follow-up Kev, but can you post pics of the outside if possible? Is that a rivet to hold the heatsink?...

Mick

mofox1 said:
A bit slow with this follow-up Kev, but can you post pics of the outside if possible? Is that a rivet to hold the heatsink?...

Mick
Yep sure is a rivet to hold the heat sink in place.

We also ended up throwing a volt meter on the front to look flash
front_zps5b93acd7.jpg

The heat sink is from Jaycar
A rivet either end to hold it in place.
Self drilling screws mount the SSR to the heat sink. You can even see the thread of the other end of the SSR screw.
Remember to use a small amount of thermal paste between the SSR and heat sink.

back2_zpse7fcd388.jpg

Belated update my element voltage control box.

Turned out very similar to Mr Kev's, kudos to the design idea :D

Bit's of kit:

med_gallery_34854_1193_1461360.jpg

Cut-outs done, heatsink cut down & tapped:
med_gallery_34854_1193_1210263.jpg

Component assembly:
med_gallery_34854_1193_213816.jpg

Complete:
med_gallery_34854_1193_1180004.jpg

But this pic looks better :D
med_gallery_34854_1193_785068.jpg

It's a nice piece of kit - it's done two brews and the heat sink gets evenly warm. Pity I'm already getting components for my electric brewery control panel, which will make this little fella redundant.

mofox1 said:
What I haven't seen much about is using SCR voltage controllers here and here to adjust the temps.

Has anyone had any experience with them?
Well my voltage controller the same as linked to here finally blew up last night mid boil. It did last a couple of years, but I think the max rating(3800W@220V) for a 3600W element is on the edge and I'd have to advise not to go with it. Would probably be fine for 2400W element though?

thanks gents!

anyone have the pdf wiring diag? not downloading from site

I might be ruining everyone's fun here but why wouldn't you use the controls from a cooktop or oven. These use 0V switching are cheap and won't need a heatsink. Just my 2c

Dae Tripper said:
I might be ruining everyone's fun here but why wouldn't you use the controls from a cooktop or oven. These use 0V switching are cheap and won't need a heatsink. Just my 2c
because they are a thermostat style switch and dont offer any real control

they just turn on and off at a certain temp (cycling)

voltage control allows you to increase the "power" to the element (and heat output) but not turn it off and on (cycling)
this makes it more like GAS fire control to increase or decrease heat output

P=(VxV)/R
the resistance of the element is constant as is the surface area of the element. If you reduce the voltage the power also reduces but the surface area stays the same. therefore the heat density on the elements surface reduces.
PID controllers use a duty cycle say 10 sec at 50% the element is on for 5sec and off for 5sec. A PID controller could be used to drive a motorised pot connected to a SSVR.

Dragging up an old thread here sorry.

I'm looking to put something similar to this together (my sparky will) for when I install my 3600w element.

After browsing the mighty eBay for parts I've noticed a whole bunch of differently rated solid state relays and potentiometers. Can anyone advise on what specs should I be looking for?

Would this be suitable? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Resistor-Type-Soild-State-Relay-SSR-25VA-25A-24-380V-AC-Heat-Sink-/331734629556?hash=item4d3cecbcb4:g:RygAAOSwXshWsyT8

Cheers!

DigitalGiraffe said:
Dragging up an old thread here sorry.

I'm looking to put something similar to this together (my sparky will) for when I install my 3600w element.

After browsing the mighty eBay for parts I've noticed a whole bunch of differently rated solid state relays and potentiometers. Can anyone advise on what specs should I be looking for?

Would this be suitable? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Resistor-Type-Soild-State-Relay-SSR-25VA-25A-24-380V-AC-Heat-Sink-/331734629556?hash=item4d3cecbcb4:g:RygAAOSwXshWsyT8

Cheers!
I use two of these one for Keg King pump control and another for kettle element control.

Latest posts

Back