Heating - electric or gas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
I have a 50L stainless pot and I plan on doing BIAB. I need some way to heat it. I can't find any decent gas burners in NZ, and the ones on eBay or Amazon are extremely expensive to ship here. Ideally I'd like to go for an electric element but I'm limited to 10A from a wall socket and don't want to have to do any wiring to the house as it's not my house.

I was thinking of getting one of those 32mm weldless elements like this https://www.brewshop.co.nz/heating-element-2200w.html but I'm not sure if it will be powerful enough and I'm worried the small surface area will scorch the wort.

I could go for 2 of these elements but I'm not sure if I'll trip the circuit breaker as I don't think each wall socket is on its own 10A circuit. What do you all use?

Depending on the size of your house the power points will be on 3 or 4 circuits. You can work this out by looking in your fuse box at how many fuses are marked as power points. You can then also see how many amps those circuits are, and whether or not you can run multiple 10amp elements.

I use two of those elements, I previously just plugged them both in and away I went, worked fine drawing 18 amps, then my wife switches the kettle on. I am in a rental too but I still put a 15amp double gpo in the garage, just takes away any worries and I am sure the owners don't mind.

Latest posts

Back