Heating efficiency and cleaning simplicity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djackal

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've decided to take the switch from gas to electric as I've built a basement laundry /brewery and I don't want to take the risk with gas (plus with kids around its just not safe).

I already own a large pot with cooling/circulation coil, 35l electric hlt and other bits and bobs. I've also got instantaneous electric hot water and 3 phase power located nearby.

I'm leaning towards a guten or robobrew but want to understand if I'm better off incorporating some of my other gear to make things easier for cleaning and/or speed things up.

Have any of you done similar and have any tips?
I'm going to get a sparky in and thinking of installing a 15amp socket for a higher powered all in one. Is this worth it if I'm doing 30l batches? Should I go for more power and buy something from electric brewery instead? Or is it only going to have marginal effects on brewing time and electric efficiency? Cheers in advance and love to see some photos of systems that are almost plug and play!

If you've got 3 phase nearby I'd get a couple of 15amp and then a larger 32amp (as that will allow you options for bigger controllers later) or get a 3 phase plug and just use that for a bigger controller.

Dual 15amp just gives you head room for extra gear and more elements.

Current hlt will be good for sparging, all in one will be fine unless you want to do back to back in which case loom at a 3v

Whats the water quality out of the instant? Can probably use that for mash water to reduce heat up time

Do you have ventilation for steam or a condenser?

Thanks Clickeral, water quality here in Canberra is very good and it's a brand new zip system. It's Located a metre or two away from the switch and brewery so should be easy to wire up..
I'm planning to move away from double batches as I just don't drink enough.. Plus my kettle is 100l and esky mash tun can be used to do large 60 plus l batches at high efficiency if needed.

No ventilation in the area though... It's adjacent to the back corner of the garage. One of the reasons why I'm avoiding gas too.

Hi DJ,
Can't help with the brewing side - too new and using gas. As a sparkie I can help with the electrickery though when you know what you are trying to set up. If you intend to run a couple of 15A outlets for heating purposes I hightly recommend splitting them across the phases as opposed to piggy backing off the zip boil as I expect it will be on a dedicated circuit and close to the maximum rating of the cable. Heating elements draw close to the full load in operation - unlike A/Cs and other pieces of kit.
I'm just up the road in Murrumbateman so may catch you around the traps sometime.
Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Last edited:
G'day DJ,
I have 15amp power supply to my shed, I have a Brewzilla 65 which requires a 15amp power supply.
I make 40lt batches into fermentors, that fills 2x19lt kegs. Same cleaning involved with 35lt & 65lt.

I'd get a couple of 32A single phase outlets on separate breakers fitted, as well as a 3 phase outlet (or two!) as big as the sparky will allow. Make sure the 3 phase outlets with neutral and earth wires connected.

Remember -- you can always plug little stuff into big outlets -- but not the other way around!

One thing a lot of people forget is how much difference good insulation makes.
Gives you faster heating and better boiloff at no extra cost.
I would look at elements with Tri-Clover fittings or something similar, especially in the kettle. It makes cleaning the elements very easy and failing that build up on elements dramatically reduces their efficiency and ups the chances of scorching. Good elements (especially in the kettle) are a worthwhile investment.
Not an endorsement but Still Dragon offer some elements and fittings well worth looking at, I'm sure some others will have the same or similar.
Mark

Hi DJ,
Can't help with the brewing side - too new and using gas. As a sparkie I can help with the electrickery though when you know what you are trying to set up. If you intend to run a couple of 15A outlets for heating purposes I hightly recommend splitting them across the phases as opposed to piggy backing off the zip boil as I expect it will be on a dedicated circuit and close to the maximum rating of the cable. Heating elements draw close to the full load in operation - unlike A/Cs and other pieces of kit.
I'm just up the road in Murrumbateman so may catch you around the traps sometime.
Cheers n Beers
Jolls
Thanks for this advice. This place actually has two instant hot water systems, induction stove and electric oven, and reverse cycle ducted ac. Some serious power coming through!

Back