Heating And Cooling Brews For Summer Or Winter Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damo_m

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a device that controls my brews as in summer its too hot and winter is tough for porters and ales so for all year brewing I was looking for a heating/cooling therm control.

I found this one that doesnt need to be hardwired by an electrician, looks ok with a 240V plug not hardwired.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Home-Brew-tempe...=item3f1d12b986

Anyone have an opinion on these? Or anyone bought a 240V plug that works awesome?

Cheers
Damo

That's just a $20 STC-1000 that somebody has wired up & is selling. I could be wrong, but given the amateur look of the product I strongly suspect that their unit is not approved by Electrical Standards Australia - If so they are risking up to an $825,000 fine or 2 years jail if it happens to burn your house down. They could even cop a very hefty fine just for selling an unapproved unit.

Better just buy an stc-1000 off ebay and wire it up yourself / with the assistance of an electrican.

I assume just buy the 220V one from China, $23 + free postage not bad. I am not very good at wiring stuff up, I have a mate who is an electrician so I am sure it will be easy for him :)

Yep, do that. There are tons of diagrams & "how-to" guides on this forum. Spend another $15 for a few bits & pieces from jaycar, invite your mate over and you're set to go.

Nice many thanks. What else needs to be bought from Jaycar? Casing or wires?

That's just a $20 STC-1000 that somebody has wired up & is selling. I could be wrong, but given the amateur look of the product I strongly suspect that their unit is not approved by Electrical Standards Australia - If so they are risking up to an $825,000 fine or 2 years jail if it happens to burn your house down. They could even cop a very hefty fine just for selling an unapproved unit.

Better just buy an stc-1000 off ebay and wire it up yourself / with the assistance of an electrican.

Amateur all right the 4 rubber bungs in the corner of the box are feet for the box
Even the box is upside down

Nice many thanks. What else needs to be bought from Jaycar? Casing or wires?

Jaycar jiffy box, three buck extension cord (x2 if you want heating and cooling). I got mine for $16 so the total cost is slightly over $20.

This diagram:

stc_1000.jpg

Cut the cords in two allowing short female cords and a long male. Also cut a donor length of about 10cm from two of the cords and strip the outer insulation as you need extra live and neutral wires (see diagram).

Disclaimer: When you're finished, take it and the diagram to a sparkie and get them to check your work. If you can tie shoelaces and read a map you can wire one of these - just be fastidious and thorough and triple check everything is tight and correct.

Here's what it looks like (without the heating circuit).

IMG_2324.jpg

thanks guys, perfect, looks pretty easy actually will get sparky mate to double check. Make brewing all year round easy as...

Back