Heater Pad Or Heater Belt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luka

Reaction score
Just wondered what people's thoughts were on both of these. I probably need to get one of them but haven't decided which yet. Is one better than the other?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Just wondered what people's thoughts were on both of these. I probably need to get one of them but haven't decided which yet. Is one better than the other?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

The heater pad is very good at warm up your wort, almost to good. If I were to use a pad all the time I would install a inline temp cut out. I tend to use the belt more. I find that it is a little slower in warming up the wort but if I happen to forget about it being on the wort temp won't be off the richter scale. For me anyway.

BYB

i was thinking about this also and thought that maybe they would only heat up some of the wort .(in section)

so ive started using yeast and styles in the 11-15 degree range as my shed sits at 12 degrees untill the weather warms up

cheers kingy

p.s just got beersmith a few days ago and what an awsome program,shouldve got it ages ago...... :D

IMO - Go with the belt, and either get a temp controller or the "low brow" timer from Bunnings (for $5) which you can set to turn on and off on a 24 hour clock. I have it set to go on every 15 minutes throughout the night which seems to keep it in the 18-20 zone in my environment.

I don't have a pad, but I'd be concerned about warming the trub when you really want to be warming the wort.

BB

A low wattage incandecent light globe mounted in a cupboard is a low tech solution for ale brewing over winter - put it on a timer so it runs overnight or use thermostat contoller if you want a bit more temp control.
Still I guess the ultimate low tech solution is to use a lager yeast for winter brewing!
cheers
HStB

Sit the fermenter in a big plastic tub, 1/3 fill with water and put an aquarium heater in. B)

The heaters have thermostats so you just dial in what you want and forget about it. Very cheap, easy and requires no monitoring. Just remember to unplug the heater when you take the fermenter out and chuck a bit of sanitiser into the water to keep the tap clean.

A low wattage incandecent light globe mounted in a cupboard is a low tech solution for ale brewing over winter - put it on a timer so it runs overnight or use thermostat contoller if you want a bit more temp control.
Still I guess the ultimate low tech solution is to use a lager yeast for winter brewing!
cheers
HStB

But you need to have another solution by 2009 :)
news

I like a heat pad - nice even warming - but I'd still always fit a temperaturer controler, whether using belt or mat.

Cheers Ross

Back