Heated Stir Plate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altstart

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I am thinking of replacing my stir plate and wish to include a heating system in the new one. My first thought is to use high intensity LEDs sited under the flask but I am not aware of the heat output of these devices. I was thinking to control the temp of the liquid with a STC 1000 built into the box. Your comments would be welcomed and if anyone has been down this road please contribute. Obviously in the summer months here in Queensland the heat source would not be needed and could be left off.
Cheers Altstart

Why not incorporate a simple carbon brush that runs on a metal ring as the stir plate magnets rotate. It will create a gentle heating effect through the stir plate. If the stir plate top is partially insulating then that will keep the heat constant by not allowing too much loss to the environment.

Hi Guys
I am thinking of replacing my stir plate and wish to include a heating system in the new one. My first thought is to use high intensity LEDs sited under the flask but I am not aware of the heat output of these devices. I was thinking to control the temp of the liquid with a STC 1000 built into the box. Your comments would be welcomed and if anyone has been down this road please contribute. Obviously in the summer months here in Queensland the heat source would not be needed and could be left off.
Cheers Altstart

I think they are available commercially but many $$$$$$$$

I have in the past, put a heat belt around the flask and controlled it with an stc 1000 but it is a pita to set up as you have to get the belt on and a bit of insulation to retain the probe as well as keeping it all central on the stir plate.

I am going to build a little heated box so that it will all just sit in there and be temp controlled like a small fermenting cupboard.

Cheers

I am going to build a little heated box so that it will all just sit in there and be temp controlled like a small fermenting cupboard.

:icon_offtopic:
Perhaps this will be of assistance dicko?
Just an up-ended old esky with a groove cut for the electric leads. Rarely need more heat where I am but can add a temp-controlled heat pad if needed.
When available I use my (TempMate controlled) lagering fridge as in the other pic. Otherwise the esky.
Hope this helps? :icon_cheers:

Winter_Starter_Fermentation.JPG Starter_Heat_Control.JPG

:icon_offtopic:
Perhaps this will be of assistance dicko?
Just an up-ended old esky with a groove cut for the electric leads. Rarely need more heat where I am but can add a temp-controlled heat pad if needed.
When available I use my (TempMate controlled) lagering fridge as in the other pic. Otherwise the esky.
Hope this helps? :icon_cheers:

View attachment 55800 View attachment 55801

Well I'll be buggered Pete!
How bloody simple is that?

I'm off out to the shed to resurrect an old esky and fit the necessary bits.

Thanks mate :beer:

Cheers

If I lived in QLD I don't think I'd bother with heating starters, because the indoor-temperature should usually always be about the range that yeast like.
However, here in Melb, I've recently found that they need to be heated, but use a solution similar to TidalPete's and put it in my fermenting fridge with a heat-mat and STC-1000 controller.

Latest posts

Back