Heat Or Chill?

• Thread starter dart
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dart

i just started brewing, and i was wondering should i be worrying about cooling or heating more? i live in melbourne and its coming to winter should i buy a chiller or a heater ? or both, is it that critical to heat ?

All depends on where you intend to brew.
If its in a room in the house, kitchen or laundry, does the temp in there alter very much over a 24 hour period.
If it remains in the low to mid 20*C,s, for Ales, no problems.
It also depends on the style that you intend to brew, Ales or Lagers.

:blink: :rolleyes: :blink:

Normell

Hi Dart

I'm in Melbourne too & I never have to worry about heating because I ferment inside the house where the temp is pretty constant, but if you are in the garage or a tin shed it'll be a different story. Make lagers with proper lager yeast when it's cold & you should be OK then do ales as the temps start to rise again.

I'm in the same boat here Dart, i'll be brewing lagers in a small laundry, with a dryer and such, will this affect the brew?
I've been told an old fridge with a thermastat can fix this problem, does anyone use this method?

Cheers.

Yep, get an old fridge, if you like your lagers it will be the best investment you can do.

Then get onto the liquid lager yeasts.

I don't have a thermastat installed in my fridge as the highest setting seems to be around the 10C mark, perfect for my lagers.

ONLY thing with lager yeast is you need to age/cold condition it. My first few times with lager yeast were disapointing but I didn't CC them, I now CC for 4 weeks and they are tops!

I use an old fridge and find that it gets cold enuff for lagers if i want an ale i just turn it off and put a hot water bottle in with the fermenter

Back