Heat Belt Vs Heat Pad

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vortex

Reaction score
I have a Heat Belt currently, and just ordered a controller for it and the fridge so I can controll the fermentation temp correctly

It occurred to me that perhaps a heat pad might be a better idea, given that it would warm the bottom of the fermenter first, where the yeast would be.

Is there a preffered option when using it with a controller in a fridge?

I've got two heat belts for two fermenters

I always figured heating the yeast cake would be a bad idea

Heatpad - put it in the fridge on it's side so it is heating the air, not the fermenter directly.

Tape the probe to the side of the fermenter, below the level of wort.

EDIT - added pic of a starter to demonstrate - same theory, smaller container. The flask of water with a thermometer was to calibrate the STC-1000.

starter_stir.jpg

My temp sensor is actually a stainless immersable sensor, so it'll be in the wort directly.

I guess at the end of the day it's really six of one, half a dozen the other - the outcome is probably the same or very very close. I was most interested if one was more suited than the other.

My temp sensor is actually a stainless immersable sensor, so it'll be in the wort directly.

I was most interested if one was more suited than the other.

like hanging trough the lid?

either way you still want to heat the ambient air not the FV, so therefore it matters little what heat source you use as long as it heats..

lightbulb, pad, belt, mongolian burner... whatever

The sensor is actually this one: http://www.mashmaster.com.au/p/366867/ntc-...e-brewmate.html so it'll be through the side; but I'll test it in another container first to make sure it doesn't leak..

I'm admittedly new to this but I haven't heard that you shouldn't heat the fermenter directly. Why is that, if I can ask a dumb question?

Look up Autolysis. Heating you yeast directly can increase the chances of this happening significantly = Vegemite beer.

I always figured heating the yeast cake would be a bad idea

I keep my probe of my temp controller taped down where the yeast cake is so I don't think the heat pad overheats the cake.

er... are you using a bottom fermenting Yeast?.. er.. Ive no evidence for this except my own perception but..

doesnt the yeast make it's heat where it's most active??

imo (uneducated) IF you wnated to have an immersion temp reader wouldnt you want it where the main body of yeast action is happening? and wouldnt that differ depending on the yeast?

:blink:

er... I always aim for the middle... then either way Im not too far off methinks..

Latest posts

Back