Health Benefits Of Drinking Homebrew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
They say that people who drink two beers a day are going to be in far better shape, health wise, than those who don't. So can anyone tell me what is so good about drinking beer?
I am currently sick as a dog and my boss told me i was not drinking enough thats why i got sick, the beer kills the germs he says. Thats what got me thinking about this question. Also i need a good excuse to get pissed, so all replys will be considered both technical and non.

home brew is high in Vit B as per vegimite :) thats good

also it (for me) reduces stress - good for health

2 beers does not put heaps of stress on the liver or get you totally pissed and dehydrated so it wont have bad effects.

of course if 2 is good, 4 is not better etc, over do it and it quickly changes from good for you to bad. eg hangovers, poor liver etc

well i can tell you that i believe it cured my gladular fever.

about 7 years ago, had blood tests on wed
from thur - sun, myself and a friend had
4 1/2 bottles of beam
3 cartons of beer
not counting the trip to the races sat
football sun
and the pubs on every day.

the doc (not that doc) rang me mon at work and said i should be in bed alseep,
or complaining im dying, ive got full blown glandular fever & may need 6mths off work.

by wed i felt fine.
although 6 mths holiday would of been nice

cheers
crackers

I dont beleive 2 beers a day is good for you to be honest :) Not unless you're already leading a very healthy life (good diet, daily exercise). The extra calories will never help.

However, its nice to ignore that completely and tell yourself homebrew is good for you. I do daily :) I tend to restrict myself to 3 beers on work nights though.

mmm an excuse to get pissed.
i generally dont go out of my way to get pissed.the wife hates it and so does the dog.
anyway i no i drink too much.used to pour into those small glasses but got sick of the constant refilling so i now use pint glasses.way better.
the beauty about homebrew is without doubt the taste and quality you can achieve.
if that is not a good excuse to drink heaps of it in the name of experimentation then i dont no what is.
works for me.

cheers
big d

The studies that show 2 drinks a day are better than none also suggest you exercise regularly, maintain a good diet, have 1 or 2 alcohol free days a week & don't binge drink. The health benefits seem to be in stress relief & protection against heart & circulatory disease (esp dark beers). I can guarantee you beer doesn't kill germs & won't cure glandular fever (sorry Crackers).

thats ok keneasy,
the doctor didnt believe me either.
but he cant explain why i didnt have it after that weekend.
i just live with wishful thinking, and my excuse to have a couple each nite :D

Beer has just as much anti-oxidants (and sometimes more) than wine, so the 2 drinks a day is the go with, as Keneasy says, 2 alc free days per week and no binge drinking. There is debate as to what constitutes "a drink". I have heard conflicting statements that it is 225ml, 250ml, 333ml, 375ml. It's dependant on the alcohol content of course. From all the reading I've done, it kind of averages out to one king brown of 5% beer per day for guys and one stubbie for girls.

There's plenty of info at http://www.beerandhealth.com

Cheers - Snow

the power of the mind eh? Works for me :lol:

Hmmmm 2 drinks a day promotes digestion and reduces cholesterol

that is 2 drinks and a reasonably healthy diet & exercise etc

One fact the wowsers can never stop trying to overturn but every study they do just proves 2 drinks a day prolong life.

JM

Now if I could just convince my wife........

For my family history of heart disease, my GP told me to pay attention to the obvious things - diet, exertise etc. After that it pays to consume more olive oil, more tea and one or two drinks a day. Not bad really.

Yes a couple of drinks a day can only be good for you.
I was reading somewhere a while back that in some hospitals in France they even serve red wine (1 glass a day) to recovering heart surgery patients.
Oh, and dont forget the tomatoes and the sauce deebee.

cheers

My first assignment in a Unit called "Nutrition" is an open presentation (ie we get to pick the subject)

I want to do mine on "The Effects OF Moderate Alcohol Consumption On Nutrition".

I'll let you know how it goes....not that I have a particular bias.....

interesting stuff really about it all

I think a couple a beers after work doesnt hurt anyone as it helps the blood flow alot more easier this is probably 1 reason why they allow heart attack patients to have a beer as it may prevent the artery's etc to block up.

Also the same thing with red cross why they issue beer after donating blood (pity it isnt homebrew :) ) maybe the reason here is to get the blood levels flowing quicker so your pumping more blood for the 470mls you have just lost

its interesting topic in my opinion theres going to be always fors and against a person to have a couple of beers a day

anyway regardless i will still enjoy my couple of beers a day regardless wether it helps or not

cheers and beers
ozdevil

Beer is also prescribed by Doctors - yes it is, would I lie!

Some years ago, after the birth of our first child, my wife was having a bit of a problem with her waterworks.

Her Obs/Gyno was a wise older lady who took me aside and told me to bring two cans of beer in for the wife that night. I dutifully did as prescribed, my wife drunk them and in no time at all everything(?) started working properly again for her.

Ever since then I followed the same advise just to keep my own plumbing in order, although I want to make sure it works really well so on the odd occassion I have been know to double up (or even triple/quadrouple/quintuple... you get the idea) the 'medicine' :D

Trev

ozdevil said:
Also the same thing with red cross why they issue beer after donating blood (pity it isnt homebrew :) ) maybe the reason here is to get the blood levels flowing quicker so your pumping more blood for the 470mls you have just lost
Never been offered beer by the Red Cross in Melbourne. I'd have thought that being a diuretic (makes you pee) it would be the last thing you'd drink. You want to get your blood volume up quickly to maintain your blood pressure so water or cordial is usually the best choice. The replacement red blood cells are produced by the bone marrow over the next week or so.

Ken Easy is pretty switched on for a Essendon fan

Expect no less :p

Dont forget ken in the first round this year Power a real foooty team will prevail

Back