Headspace in cube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaypes

It is, a nice!
Reaction score
Gents

I have recently started no-chill cubing and my last batch I used a 20L jerry from Bunnings.

As much as I tried to squeeze all the air out there is still some headspace - maybe 3 inches.

Will this affect the beer drastically?

Accepted knowledge is that there shouldn't be any headspace.

However, if the Wort is near boiling, surely the air in the headspace would be at high enough temperature to mitigate any issues.

I use the 10 litre water containers from Bunnings, and even with Wort to the rim, there is air left in the handle. No problems at this end.

Now waiting for more experienced heads to flame the bejesus out of me ;-)

There's always going to be some air in the cube, hard to squeeze it all out really without ending up with boiling wort everywhere.

Just minimize the air as you can and you'll be fine. Put the cube up against something solid and put your knee into it, but watch out for hot wort all over your knee.

I went to a brew demo and the guy pushed the cube against the wall with his knee to remove air. I've used that technique for my first two AG brews.

The demo also suggested that when the wort is newly poured in and the lid is on you can move the wort around a little so it contacts all of the surface of the cube and sanitises it to reduce the risk of infection.

I have done all the sanitary procedures mentioned and tried to squeeze as much as I could but still some headspace remains.

Will see how it turns out and will try the knee/wall technique on the next one

Just make sure you invert the cube for a little while to sanitize inside the handle
The brews i did on saturday and sunday only had maybe a 2 inch wide bubble up in the handle once i'd squeezed all the air out
checked them this afternoon and the bubble in both is about 1cm wide now
hopefully that's just due to the air expanding when it was hot and now it's shrunk back to it's normal density

jaypes said:
Gents

I have recently started no-chill cubing and my last batch I used a 20L jerry from Bunnings.

As much as I tried to squeeze all the air out there is still some headspace - maybe 3 inches.

Will this affect the beer drastically?
In my experience, I think this is just another myth running it's course through the brewing community.
I've no chilled heaps of brews in a Bunnings 25lt cube with only 20lt in the cube. I squeezed out as much air as possible every time & not once have had a problem with too much air space being in the cube. No infections or any problems at all. I do have a 20lt no chill cube that I use as well & there's near zero head space in that cube with 20lt in there. I think luck plays no part with infections & 15 odd brews in the 25lt cube resulting in no infections would be considered a safe method.
From what I've read, the general consensus is to minimize head space to lessen the risk of infection & this is the ideal but don't lose any sleep with a bit of extra head space in the cube. As long as you sanitize & expell as much as you can without crushing it like a can ( the wall & knee method works fine ) you'll be fine.

Crusty said:
In my experience, I think this is just another myth running it's course through the brewing community.
I've no chilled heaps of brews in a Bunnings 25lt cube with only 20lt in the cube. I squeezed out as much air as possible every time & not once have had a problem with too much air space being in the cube. No infections or any problems at all. I do have a 20lt no chill cube that I use as well & there's near zero head space in that cube with 20lt in there. I think luck plays no part with infections & 15 odd brews in the 25lt cube resulting in no infections would be considered a safe method.
From what I've read, the general consensus is to minimize head space to lessen the risk of infection & this is the ideal but don't lose any sleep with a bit of extra head space in the cube. As long as you sanitize & expell as much as you can without crushing it like a can ( the wall & knee method works fine ) you'll be fine.

+1. Just lay the cube on either side for about 5 mins.

Back