Head space when fermenting in a Jerry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosto

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking to get a couple of Jerry's to ferment in as I think I can fit two side by side in my ferm fridge. Just wondering does the smaller opening, which I'll just cover with glad wrap, result in any increase in the krausen that is formed? How much headspace would you recommend leaving in the Jerry to avoid blow overs? I'm still experimenting with different yeasts and styles, but will probably settle on brewing ales and the odd pilsner in 20 litre batches. If I get the urge to brew a hefe or something similar I'll probably use the cylindrical fermenter I currently have.

Cheers,

If you're talking about the blue plastic Willow containers you get from Bunnings etc that are popular (I use them myself), I wouldn't worry about it. It comes with two lids, one is closed and one has a spout. Just run some silicon hose through the spout (large enough OD to keep it air-tight) and into some sanitiser solution - perfectly serviceable blow off tube.

Back