Hbs Advice - We Shouldn't Laugh

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 384

Reaction score
I get sent an email newsletter from a large chain of HBS. It always provides me with a self righteous giggle as the advice is often pretty shocking. The last newsletter had some "recipes" and at least made an attempt to include OG and exepected FG. Only problem was when you ran the ingredients through Promash the rported OG was completely wrong, a simple mistake that a major HBS chain shouldn't make.

From the latest newsletter I've decided to cut and paste their latest efforts on explaining the complexities of head retention:

"Brewing Tip
Head improverYou will find from time to time that the head on your beer is not that it should be. The usual problem is that the head simply does not last. This is easily fixed by using a head improver which works by making the tiny bubbles in the head stronger, which means they wont burst as quickly. Also ensure that your beer glasses are cleaned with brewers detergent and not regular dishwashing liquid.
From Brewing Crafts by Mike Rogers Wilson"

Cheers
MAH

Author of such homebrewing errr. "classics" (tongue firmly in cheek) <_<

MAH the info only gets worse. Bought these little gems in 1997. Just after my first few kits.

Warren -

lastscan.jpg

Its this kind of mis-information or (crap) that keeps a lot of people from going further than a k & k. Thank god for this forum where people (like me) can develop the craft of brewing and advance to a qualiTy all grain drop.

STEPHEN

ha ha ha how does one measure the strength of beer bubbles. :blink:

big d said:
[post="55681"][/post]​

I get mine to bench-press crown seals. :p

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
big d said:
[post="55681"][/post]​

I get mine to bench-press crown seals. :p

Warren -
[post="55682"][/post]​

Funny, I was thinking the other day about bottling, and had a Chimay bottle in my hand. These are some of the only bottles that, if you happen to bottle too early, will actually not blow up.

i have those books they ae a reallly good waste of money to learn about this hbs chain products and how to make more bad beer ...I will sell mine or worse give them away to any takers or may just use mine for toilet paper

big d said:
[post="55681"][/post]​

I think it's done at the same lab that tells us which cosmetics will make skin 78% more radiant.

Statistics can prove anything. 62% of people know that.

:beer:

In the same vein, 84% of statistics are just made up on the spot...

I said that one at work a few months ago (to managers, engineers, etc) and it took about 5-10 seconds to properly sink in.

Jazman said:
...or may just use mine for toilet paper
[post="55707"][/post]​

geeez jaz that may hurt the fermentarse

My local HBS chain has started a quarterly information leaflet with information and tips. I won't name the chain, as the idea is good, and i know the owner is trying to do the right thing.
Problem is, they need better advice.

The latest issue had a couple of recipes. On their "pale ale" recipe, they had something like 250g of crystal, which they instructed people to sit in boiling water, then squeeze out to get all the sugar out

Another min-mash recipe told the aspiring brewer to mash their grains overnight, and strangely enough talked about "200 micron" filters for sparging, which i thought very strange.

Back