Hb Belgian Ales

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopsta

Reaction score
Im planning on putting on a belgian golden ale shortly, im undecided on wether im better off bottling or kegging the beer? Im assuming bottling will make the beer taste more true to style? But is their much taste difference between kegging and bottling this style of brew?

Which would you say is better?

I put one of these down a few weeks ago and i am going to bottle it this weekend. I think it will benefit from bottle conditioning and i also don't want to hold up one fo my kegs for a few months while it ages.

I don't have any reasons why it should be better in bottles but i have been told this from a few different sources.

i really think these kind of ales are better with time (and bugger all priming sugar) in the bottle, but hey, you're homebrewing, brew 2 and drink 1 now from the keg as well!
What's your recipe?

I agree that these things need time on the yeast , if only due to the higher alcohol content, but also to produce the classic flavours.

You could age in the keg if U want, but how many brewers have enough spare kegs? (Yeah, I know half of the guys on this forum will have... Stupid me!)

I recently brewed TDA's Leffe Blond clone and will bottle this weekend.

Seth 2cents :p

we really need these classic recipes saved
is TDAs recipe AG?

tangent said:
we really need these classic recipes saved
is TDAs recipe AG?
[post="78968"][/post]​
Yep, ag...except for the traditional sugar addition (about 300g IIRC).

Here's the link to the Fly-Blown Belgian ale thread, but U could find it by search. it's certainly saved, but may be better placed in recipes. Forgive me if it already is there.

Seth out :p

tangent said:
i really think these kind of ales are better with time (and bugger all priming sugar) in the bottle, but hey, you're homebrewing, brew 2 and drink 1 now from the keg as well!
What's your recipe?
[post="78964"][/post]​

I've got enough kegs (7 and 2 more on the way) to set one aside for a few months.
I have the recipe at home i'll post it later on tonight for you.

Perhaps i'll keg this batch and bottle the next batch, then decide if the taste difference is worth washing all those bottles.

Weizguy said:
I agree that these things need time on the yeast , if only due to the higher alcohol content, but also to produce the classic flavours.

You could age in the keg if U want, but how many brewers have enough spare kegs? (Yeah, I know half of the guys on this forum will have... Stupid me!)

I recently brewed TDA's Leffe Blond clone and will bottle this weekend.

Seth 2cents :p
[post="78967"][/post]​

Seth

Is this the belgian brew you used the S-33 on or was that another one?

Borret

Borret said:
Seth

Is this the belgian brew you used the S-33 on or was that another one?

Borret
[post="78981"][/post]​

Yep, it's the same one. Been a bit busy to find time for bottling. Figured that this beer is best when bottled.

No, I'm not that keen a brewer, that I'd have 2 batches of the same beer, started contemporaneously. Not if it was the first time I brewed it, anyway. Hmmm, maybe I am?

Are U thinking that it may not make a difference if the S33 is not a true Belgian?

Seth :p

No, I'm just curious of the outcome with this yeast on a more yeast stylised beer. Just keen to hear the outcome really.

Borret

tangent said:
What's your recipe?
[post="78964"][/post]​

Tangent, sorry bit slow to post that recipe you were after, it is as follows.......

Hopsters Golden Strong Ale (partial mash)

Batch size 23L

3kg Light dry extract
2kg Belgian Pilsner
200gm Carapils
200 gm Flaked Wheat
900gm Clear candi sugar

57gm Styrian Goldings (60mins)
14gm Saaz 20mins
1 tsp irish moss 10mins
14gm Saaz 1min (or flameout)

WLP 570 Belgian Golden Ale

This is about the biggest mash i can do with my current setup. But im thinking this should come out pretty tasty anyways.....

Cheers,
Hopsta

I bottled a Belgina Ale last night and i don't know how the hell you bottlers do it everytime! It takes forever and is such a PITA! I'm so glad i jumped striaght into kegs.

Back