Hawthorn And Sleeping Giant

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esssee

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been looking for an answer to a question, but am having trouble finding an answer.

I have become a big fan of Hawthorn Pale Ale and, to my taste buds, Sleeping Giant seems to be fairly similar, with just a little more bitterness.

I understand that both claim to be somewhat of an English IPA, but with a nod to American IPA's.

Those of you out there with "the knowledge" of English IPA's, are these two close to style?

To replicate these beers, would I be best to go for an English IPA, but then throw some American Hops at it, or would I start with an American IPA, and throw Specialty Grains at it.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I'll bump this cos Im also a fan of the sleeping giant and interested in others ideas on how to replicate this!

Sleeping Giant. Mmm..
Probably pale malt with some crystal and a few handfuls of Goldings, Fuggles or NB fermented out with some 1318 Yeast. I don't think it's anything to complicated.
I'm still bitter (get it...bitter!) that they replaced their original IPA with this weaksauce version. The old one was a cracker.

I have no idea of the protocol here, BUT - someone I know had a discussion with Sleeping Giant brewer and forwarded me the email. This is all they were willing to give away:

- currently 50 IBUs

-6 different malts

-EKG, Cascade and Centennial (no more specificities than that other than some are done at whirlpool)

I think you'd get away with a basic grist for sure - the hopping schedule is subdued compared to Argon's LFPA but I used that recipe as my launching pad for combining different types of hops so am not surprised by this combo. I've recently done amarillo and EKG which is delicious (at different intervals for different purposes in a reddish ale).

That may all be porkies, but that's what I've got.

Cheers. :icon_cheers:

Hadn't heard of either of them but I'll keep my eye out now.

I thought you were talking football. I was hoping melbourne would be the sleeping giant. But no sign of life there for nearly 50 years. I'd call it almost extinct.

Sleeping Giant is my go-to for a 6'er on the run. Twist tops, available almost everywhere thanks to their Woolies distribution, and less than 20 bucks. Picnic, impromptu dinner (BYO etc), re-up for a party. Plus most plebs don't know what they are and don't nick them from the esky! I'm not sure if it's come down in bitterness since I first tried it though, or if it's just my tastebuds becoming immune - although I've noticed MG Steam Ale seems to have bucked the trend and come up in bitterness lately. Although the Hightail at the Brunswick Green was abysmal last time I was there. I digress...Anyway, argument about if it's an IPA or just an APA aside, i think it's a good beer. Although 6 malts sounds complex. I would have thought 4 at the outside: Base (pale), maybe some wheat, some light or medium crystal and some dark crystal. But what do I know? It definitely has that carob-esque hit dark crystal brings to the party.

Back