Having A Quiet Beer, And Then Sh@t!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarneyG

Reaction score
Sitting on the couch having a beer and this cheeky bugger crawled up my arm, I flicked him off then he lent back on his rear legs ready to bite me!!!! :eek: Let's just say the rolled up newspaper took care of this fiesty creature! B)

"White Tailed Spider" I heard these suckers can pack quiet a punch, man do I hate spiders. :ph34r:

white_tailed_spider1.jpg

lucky
my parents know a guy who was bitten on the hand by one in the garden.
after being off work for 12 months the bus company retired him.
still doesnt have full use of his hand.
it might of been a rare case but i wouldnt chance it.

crackers

I killed one (White Tailed Spider) in my shed at the weekend.
Was pulling a false bottom for my mash tun out of a bag to show Linz and this spider fell out.
I had no idea what it was, but Linz did. It got squashed pretty damn quick :D

Likewise my wife killed a redback that had created a web on one of our windows a week ago.

I think I'm going to spray the joint for spiders this weekend.

Beers,
Doc

Apparently Bruce Ruxton said after being bitten by one that he wouldn't wish it on a Japanse prisoner of war. Must be pretty bad...

Hey Barney,
hope you are still talking to us tomorrow, I got bit by one of those buggers, sat me fair on my arse for a week, only a visit to the local GP got me going again. They might be little but hell they can pack a punch.

We had a rash of them in our house last year and my wife believes she was bitten by one - we found the culprit in our bed and about six of his mates around the house all within a few weeks. After hearing all the hype about them, I did a couple hours googling on the net and found much like kook said above. There is a small risk of necrotising arachnidism with all spider bites. It's a type of infection that ulcerates and eats at the flesh and is very difficult to knock out. There is thought to be a similar risk with white tails as with any other spider. They are not deadly but they are very aggressive and bites are very common, often with people not being able to identify the spider. My wife's bite just got red, swollen and sore. If they were as dangerous as the hype would have you believe there would be a lot of people with this necro thingy. In fact it is quite rare, occurring in only a few of the dozens of confirmed WTS bites in Australia.

They are hard to kill. Step on them and they will stand back up. Need to grind them with a heel or something. They prey on other spiders and love coming indoors. If you want to control them, don't let any spiders live inside your house, thus eliminating their prey. As with other spiders, insect spray is not 100% effective.

reckon i might stick with the crocs,box jellyfish,rogue buffalos and the occasional native spear chucka.
and the swarms of mossies this time of year :lol:

big d ;)

or sandflies, snakes or bird eating spiders!!!

Interesting subject especially if you are involved in the Pest Control industry.
White tail spider bites on certain people can be quite serious, particularly if you have circulation problems and are bitten on the lower limbs or extremities.
Dont underestimate these critters they can - and do bite.
They do not have webs like most other spiders but hunt by stealth for their meal. For this reason they are very mobile and can move from area to area within your home once inside.
They are very agressive and generally live in gardens and mulsch( Pine Bark etc )
They are easily introduced into your home on things like, firewood, childrens toys that are bought inside, shoes, washing baskets, and they can come in if the weather gets hot or wet and they become uncomfortable outside.
Dont let anyone play down the effects of this spiders bite, it can be quite serious depending on the victim.
I am not promoting business as most who read this would not have a clue who I am, however because I only treat for health pests and not termites as most others, most of my work involves treating for spiders and I have seen first hand, the results of these spider bites.
If you have got these spiders inside your house or any other area then I would be considering proffessional treatment.
A bit off the subject of brewing but as a lot of us work ( brew ) in sheds we all should be aware of the possible dangers.

B B B.

Thats funny, no one mentioned snakes.
Well, a few weeks before xmas i went to get something out from under the bench in my shed and what was there but a Brown Snake.
I type this title with capitals because I hav a fair amount of respect for these suckers.
Anyway, It went one way and I went the other.
It went under a big freezer and would not come out.
It was happy living in my shed due mainly to the fact that there was mice in there and it had a good food supply. (I think the mice were eating the spilled grains of malted grain) just to add a brewing aspect to this post.
I decided that I would starve it out so I baited heavily in the shed for the mice and during the next week there was heaps of dead mice everywhere.
To cut a long story short ( as well as a long snake short ) it finally came out and its life was unfortunately terminated when a long handled shovel accidentally fell across its scaley back.
As you would all know you are not supposed to harm these critters and my idea was that the snake would get hungry due to lack of mice and come out from under the freezer and go back over to the scrub which is across from my place and live happily ever after. poor ******* didnt make it.
True story
B B B.

"Bigd" reckon i might stick with the crocs,box jellyfish,rogue buffalos and the occasional native spear chucka.
and the swarms of mossies this time of year

pmsl :rolleyes:

"BBB" Well, a few weeks before xmas i went to get something out from under the bench in my shed and what was there but a Brown Snake.

Jeepers BBB I would have to clean my undies after that discovery. :unsure:

Well "Fingers" looks like he had first hand experience with one off these critters, but from my understanding the Female is much larger than the Male, and she's the one that packs the big punch. :ph34r:

Yeah, my mum was bitten by a White tail while she was gardening a few years back. At first it was like someone had branded her with a red hot coffee cup. Then the ulceration started and it spread outward from there. It was like all the flesh was just dying.

Never seen her more sick. Couldn't walk or talk in the end. All right now but it has given me a little more respect for the little buggers, (or no respect, as the case may be)

BBB,

Your storey of the Brown Snake is still giving me the willies everytime I go to my shed.

Here is a picture of the redback my wife dosed in fly spray that I related in an earlier post (just found the picture on the digital camera).

Beers,
Doc

Redback_003.jpg

G'Day Doc.

Spiders are the same as snakes IMO.
The only good one is a dead one!
Red Backs (the spider) are bad with young children around.
Do you live in suburb of Sydney?
If so I would be more concerned about spiders than snakes!
Heard an interesting thing once - claim was that apparently you are never more than one metre from a spider of some sort no matter where you are.
Dont know how true it is but it gives you something to think about.
Cheers

Biggest problem where I am at the moment is the damn mozzies and Dengue Fever. Over 200 cases reported locally. Little bastards, it's always the little critters that bugger you up the most.
Also have the occasional snapping handbag too.
Hoops

i've got some serious problems with Drop bears and hoop snakes!

Back