Have You Used This?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'll only measure the surface temperature of whatever you're attempting to measure. Personally I wouldn't trust it for a mash, given that whenever I've tried to do stepped mashes in my electric kettle, the temperature can vary by 10 degrees from the temp controller probe (at the same level as the element) to the centre of the mash (where I stick my probe type digital thermometer).

If you can recirculate the mash it'd be less of an issue, but it'd still only be measuring the surface temperature. I'd be happy to be proven wrong by the more knowledgeable members of the forum though. It'll give me an excuse to borrow the 15 thousand dollar thermal imaging camera from work to do my mashes.

hey fat *******,

I think you might be right with the surface temp issue,however i have done some more searching and noticed a few LHBS selling a similar infared thermometer. Now i am even more curious .If it was accurate this seems a good concept.

i have one, the infared bit is only good for measuring the grain temp so you can figure out your strike water temp, for liquids it is shit.

the probe attachment however is very good for measuring mash temp and water temp

I have used one similar and must say that it was rubbish for the mash, they are no good on stainless steel and from memory was about 10 degrees out compared to a normal thermometer.
Cheers,
Hopie
beaten to it, and I don't have one with a probe

It'll only measure the surface temperature of whatever you're attempting to measure. Personally I wouldn't trust it for a mash, given that whenever I've tried to do stepped mashes in my electric kettle, the temperature can vary by 10 degrees from the temp controller probe (at the same level as the element) to the centre of the mash (where I stick my probe type digital thermometer).

If you can recirculate the mash it'd be less of an issue, but it'd still only be measuring the surface temperature. I'd be happy to be proven wrong by the more knowledgeable members of the forum though. It'll give me an excuse to borrow the 15 thousand dollar thermal imaging camera from work to do my mashes.

I asked the lab manager at work about this and he gave me the same advice. His suggestion was get a decent spirit stick thermometer and use it for all your measurements. I now only use stick thermometers in my HLT & MLT.

Check out www.wiltronics.com.au they've got a good range of gear (theremometers, flasks, test tubes etc). No afilliation btw, just a happy customer.

JD.

With the price of STC1000 use one as a thermometer. I use one for my BIAB and it works a treat. Drop the probe in the water, sit the unit on a bench next to it and you have temp readings anytime, that you can read them from across the room. As a bonus, later on if you need a controller you already have one.

As per any electronic thermometer, always calibrate them against an alcohol/spirit type thermometer.

QldKev

With the price of STC1000 use one as a thermometer. I use one for my BIAB and it works a treat. Drop the probe in the water, sit the unit on a bench next to it and you have temp readings anytime, that you can read them from across the room. As a bonus, later on if you need a controller you already have one.

As per any electronic thermometer, always calibrate them against an alcohol/spirit type thermometer.

QldKev

+1 to this.. I use one for the HLT that I can plug the immersion element into and works a treat... Now that I have a recirc brown pump hooked up to it I can be sure of an even temp throughout.

No more climbing up on the table to stir the HLT... god that sucked ass

the only thing that is a PITA is that it's the same unit I use for Cold Conditioning so every time I do a brew I have to change the settings from 2'c to 72'c to 90'c for sparging, when finished it's from 90'c back down to 2'c.. Yawn...

I have a spare so might have to rig it up as a permanent HLT control unit.

thermowell thermometer in MT + alcohol/spirit type thermometer for checking

B)

i have one, the infared bit is only good for measuring the grain temp so you can figure out your strike water temp, for liquids it is shit.

I agree. Infrared thermometers gets confused by the steam coming off the surface of liquids. No good on shiny stainless steels either.

Infra Red thermometors work best on metals.

They are basically designed to surface temps of things like panels, bearings, engines, wheels etc.They are mainly used by spray painters, fitters, mechanics and boilermaker/welders

Not that good on anything else

QldKev

hey Kev are you using the probe that comes with the stc-1000? i have one of these i use for my fermentation fridge but i wasnt sure if it was suitable more mashing?

cheers Leigh.

hey Kev are you using the probe that comes with the stc-1000? i have one of these i use for my fermentation fridge but i wasnt sure if it was suitable more mashing?

cheers Leigh.

There is two probes that are available with the STC1000

One that is 100% plastic/rubber, this is the one I have on all my units and is used for everything

There is also a stainless tipped version, which would be ok in the fridge, but not 100% sure if it is ok immersed within a mash. These are pretty rare.

QldKev

I use these for work, and as stated before, the steam stuffs up the reading, and it reads low. Ours are very accurate, and do calibrate to +/- 1C over the 0-150C temp range, but they also cost alot more than $32.

I'd say stick to conventional themometer. Beer is far too important....

Back