Have You Made A Coopers Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smeagol

Reaction score
Hey all,
Anyone made a Coopers Stout?

On the Coopers website the recipe says 1 X can of stout mixture, 1kg Brew Enhancer 2 and 18 litres of water.

Just wondering if anyone has tried using the recommended 23 litres of water and what the differences are between the two recipes?

Go for the 18 litres. At 23, I found it a bit watery.

Also, go for a kilo of any dark/light dry malt.

Wreck.

Definitely do 18 litres plus a kilo of dme.Use a liquid yeast or it may be a bit cloying though.A coopers sediment roused up as a starter works fine,about a litre is best.Age it for at least 12 weeks,its a ripper.
Done it many times. ;)

The last 2 stouts I have made I have added 250g to 500g of Brown Sugar. As this has a high Molasses content it gives a nice flavour..

I made a good simple stout with this kit, 1.5kg can of Coopers Dark malt, and recultured Coopers Stout yeast.
Very good, and big enough for 23l.

I did a sweet desert style stout with the coopers kits
Ingredients:
2x coopers stout tins
100g crystal malt
100g chocolate malt
50g instant coffee
WLP002 English Ale yeast (I couldnt get WLP007 - dry irish ale, which would have been even better)

It came out lovely, plenty of chocolate and coffee overtones, followed by a good bitter finish (due to using 2 pre-hopped kits) which balances the sweetness nicely. If it was a bit drier it would be even better.

edit: this brew was made up to 20 litres

phantom said:
Definitely do 18 litres plus a kilo of dme.Use a liquid yeast or it may be a bit cloying though.A coopers sediment roused up as a starter works fine,about a litre is best.Age it for at least 12 weeks,its a ripper.
Done it many times. ;)
so the kilo of dry malt extract substituted for the brew enhancer 2 was that the coopers version?

Rodderz,yeah the coopers,brewiser or the bulk dme available from hb stores :p
Good work on mentioning the brown sugar bionic it adds a subtle and softening undertone,pleasant indeed.
Cold beer lukes sound nice indeedy,Its that coopers yeast,never lets ya down.
Ive now switched to using esb 3kg packs plus extras and love em.But i may just do a coopers again for winter(its all in the aging with stout) :chug:

OK, made it up last night.
I decided to play it safe for my first go of Stout.
I mixed up the coopers stout can with 1kg of the brew enhancer 2 and enough water to take the level to about 19.5 litres. I was going to stay at 18 litres but the wurt seemed a tad to high in temp so I added 1.5 litres of cold water to bring the temp down before pitching the yeast.

Checked the carboy this morning and everything seemed to be bubbling away nicely.
OG 1.054, if this finishes around 1.008 I should have something around the 6.3% alcohol content mark which would be nice.

I would try adding say 250g cold steeped roast barley next time. In fact, next time you make a stout try cold steeping 250g choc malt and 500g roat barley or black patent and adding that to a tin of Coopers Lager. Lots of roasted grain flavor!

Jovial Monk

Smeagol said:
OK, made it up last night.
I decided to play it safe for my first go of Stout.
I mixed up the coopers stout can with 1kg of the brew enhancer 2 and enough water to take the level to about 19.5 litres. I was going to stay at 18 litres but the wurt seemed a tad to high in temp so I added 1.5 litres of cold water to bring the temp down before pitching the yeast.

Checked the carboy this morning and everything seemed to be bubbling away nicely.
OG 1.054, if this finishes around 1.008 I should have something around the 6.3% alcohol content mark which would be nice.
I would expect final gravity at around 1014 with 19.5 litres, so don't be concerned if it doesn't get down to the 1008 you're expecting.
As far as I can work out, the Coopers BE2 is 375g dry malt, 375g dextrose and 250g corn syrup. The corn syrup is not fermentable and will add to the body a bit. That's not such a bad thing. 1008 would be a too low for a stout.
Enjoy. :chug:

;) Yeah good advice J.M, dextrose will only thin it out and maltodextrin does nothing for flava.I ts much better to get body in a stout from steeped grains,and improves flava as well.Don,t be afraid to experiment with stouts smeagol :( they are very forgiving and hard to stuff up.Good luck with this one and any future experiments you may do in the black realm,Also a liquid yeast will probably attenuate more than that crappy kit stuff,and improve flava.

Hey Phantom have you tried the ESB 3kg Special Stout before?? I have one of these at home and haven't heard of anyone making it?

I bottled a coopers stout tonight. FG was 1018 after 7 days & hadnt dropped for 3 days.

Mix was 1 can coopers stout.
1Kg Coopers brew enhancer 1
250G light malt extract
19Lt water.

The brew went pretty crazy by the 2nd/3rd day almost frothng int the airlock & im thinking maybe alot of the yeast stuck to the fermenter wall when it receded.

What do you guys reckon is a FG of 1018 ok?

For those ingredients I would expect to finish at maybe 1.015, so 1.018 isnt too far off, and if it had been stable for a few days and I had also given the yeast a gentle rouse I would have bottled. Mind you I would have cut back on the priming sugar a bit just in case. Should be fine but I'd check one every now and then to see how gassy they are.

I'm going to try something in the next week.

1 x can Coopers Stout
1 x can Morgans brew enhancer
500g LDME
Mix of 500g choc, 100g roast and 250g flaked barley steeped for a while, and probably use Muntons Gold yeast, although I could use an excuse to pick up some more Coopers...

Now, the fun part.
I'm going to compare that sucker to this:
45L
8kg pilsener
1kg pale chocolate
1kg carafa2
1kg brown malt
250g flaked barley
100g roast barley

60g Northern brewer at 60
60g NB at 20

WLP002 English Ale Yeast

I expect the all grain version to dessimate the extract, but I want to see how close the extract one comes... it should be interesting.
I think you can never have enough stout around the house.
:D

Pfft, no... I guess that's what you get when you make up a recipe in 5 seconds.
I'll add some MO then.

Make sure you double check how much of the roasted grains you are adding to your recipe. Usually, roasted grains make up 5-10% of the grain bill. If you go overboard, you get very acrid flavours.

Try out your ratios on a small batch before committing to a big batch. Have a browse through stout recipes and see what quantities they use.

Remember, this is 5-10% of the total grains, so if you are using 10kg grain bill, all your chocolate, carafa, roast, black patent grain components should not be more than a kilo.

A good guide to how much of a grain to use, have a browse on the Weyermann site, this shows suitable percentages to add of different grains in different beers.

Back