Have I stuffed my beer (extract)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonn

Reaction score
So I brewd a sumer ale and for the first time I added half a tab of whirlflock 15 min before the end of boil and then poured the boiled wort into the fermenter and topped up to 23Lt with cold water got temp down to 18c and added yeast any way today I took a sample and checked the beer visually and allso tasted it. So visually it lookes like ther is curdled milk floating through the wort and it doesn't taste the best . HAVE I STUFFED IT?? That is my question pleas help

no thats normal
Ok I was just worried because I didn't allow it to cool down b4 pouring it into the fermenter basically turned of the heat let sit 5 Mins then poured it in

Did you pour it while it was still hot?

What whirlfloc does is coagulate proteins. When small bits become bigger bits, they drop to the bottom (given enough time) so you can gently transfer and leave them behind. If you neither allowed time, nor transferred gently then all the proteins the whirlfloc started coagulating have also been transferred.

To answer your question - it's not stuffed in the way dropping a bucket of lead or glass fragments would be.

It will make beer and beer that may taste great. There are some people who believe that (despite fairly well documented evidence to the contrary) that those proteins cause no harm. They can and will cause harm to beer flavour and stability and have no positive effect that suggests they are worth having.

Now that they are there in your beer, go ahead and ferment, condition, package and drink.

Even if you notice nothing negative, make an effort next time to separate and leave behind. Easily done and the main point of whirlfloc and similar kettle finings is to facilitate just that.

Also pouring hot wort (again some believe differently) is better avoided - let it cool (either quickly or slowly but hygenically), then transfer.

If you allowed hot protein to settle, then transferred gently, then cooled, you may get eggy debris from cold break proteins. These are nowhere near as deleterious as hot break protein and I wouldn't worry.

Did you pour it while it was still hot?

What whirlfloc does is coagulate proteins. When small bits become bigger bits, they drop to the bottom (given enough time) so you can gently transfer and leave them behind. If you neither allowed time, nor transferred gently then all the proteins the whirlfloc started coagulating have also been transferred.

To answer your question - it's not stuffed in the way dropping a bucket of lead or glass fragments would be.

It will make beer and beer that may taste great. There are some people who belive that (despite fairly well documented evidence to the contrary) that those proteins cause no harm. They can and will cause harm to beer flavour and stability and have no positive effect that suggests thwy are worth having.

Now that they are there in your beer, go ahead and ferment, condition, package and drink.

Even if you notice nothing negative, make an effort next time to separate and leave behind. Easily done and the main point of whirlfloc and similar kettle finings is to facilitate just that.

Also pouring hot wort (again some believe differently) is better avoided - let it cool (either quickly or slowly but hygenically), then transfer.

If you allowed hot protein to settle, then transferred gently, then cooled, you may get eggy debris from cold break proteins. These are nowhere near as deleterious as hot break protein and I wouldn't worry.

Yes I. Poured it while it was hot so I'm guessing I've defeated the purpose of adding it.

Just realised you're talking about an extract beer. Not really any need to use whirlfloc - most unwanted protein should have been separated in the manufacturing process.

Use whirlfloc in a full mash , forget for your extract.

Just realised you're talking about an extract beer. Not really any need to use whirlfloc - most unwanted protein should have been separated in the manufacturing process.

Use whirlfloc in a full mash , forget for your extract.
Ok. So do you think it should be fine with wat I've done. It was the first time using it I won't bother with it again unless agb

Not a must. Has a purpose and it works well to achieve that purpose. Recommended? Yes. Necessary? No.

If you do use it or a similar product (I do), use correctly.

Whirfloc/(and with this I'll include similar finings) are the most common accidentally left out ingredient for the home brewer.

Yes it does make a difference, but mostly to appearance,. The eyes eat well before the mouth and nose.

Latest posts

Back