Have I Made A Hand Grenade?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nearly

Reaction score
Hello folks,

With no experience in priming I wanted to ask if what I have done will cause a problem....

I wanted to keep a bottle of beer from the keg that is about to run out. I dont have a hose to fit the tap and then into the bottle as yet so I had to just pour from the tap into the bottle. I was using a glass Bundaberg Ginger Beer bottle with plastic screw cap. It foamed up a fair bit so I let it settle then poured some more then remembered to put cap on. Then I let it settle then filled and capped it.

Realizing that the 10lbs carbonation that was in the beer was somewhat diminished I thought I would put in a carbonation drop. It is a 1.5 litre bottle... BTW they seem perfect for this... brown glass with screw cap.

So... have I made a hand grenade or a flat bottle? Any thoughts? :unsure:

nearly
a tip for next time get the bottle cold first then fill with co2 from gas bottle then first pour some in a glass to make sure its pouring nicely. then fill your bottle i do this and it works great.
dont know how your bottle will end up only time will tell.

jayse said:
get the bottle cold first then fill with co2 from gas bottle
Thnaks jayse for the good advice. What setup do you have for filling the bottle with CO2?

You should be fine. Chances are that fermentation won't kick off again if you keep the bottle chilled in the fridge.

The way I fill bottles from the keg is I've got a keg disconnect connected to a snap tap. On the end of the snap tap I've got some tubing that goes to the bottom of the bottle.

As Jayse suggested chill the bottle first.
I also get the flow rate going steady but slow.

Works for me.

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
You should be fine. Chances are that fermentation won't kick off again if you keep the bottle chilled in the fridge.
Should be fine....

Though last year I bought a liquid wheat yeast and made 4 primers and put them in the fridge. Just after this we had to move and they ended up at the back of the fridge (the kitchen fridge that is) forgotten.

About 4 weeks ago I took a carton of milk out and stuck to the condensation on the side was a small slither of glass, about the size of a pen tip.

I asked wife if she's broken a something recently because I knew I hadn't.

Didn't think any more of it until later that day I got a call at work.

Wife: "You know that piece of glass you found this morning"

Me: "Yep, did you remember what you broke"

Wife: "Lets just say you only have 3 primers left, oh and that piec of glass you found? That was the biggest piece"

:unsure: She liked the flowers though......

Nice work Wasabi. Smooth mate, very smooth... :lol:

Gough.

Doc said:
The way I fill bottles from the keg is I've got a keg disconnect connected to a snap tap. On the end of the snap tap I've got some tubing that goes to the bottom of the bottle. As Jayse suggested chill the bottle first.
I also get the flow rate going steady but slow.

Works for me.
Thanks all. Sounds like it will be ok. BTW how many carbonation drops per 750ml normally?

Doc, when you use your method do the bottles have good carbonation when opened? I assume so but I was wondering if they were a bit flater than straight out of the tap into a glass. Just wondering for the future.

Also guys how much carbonation do you end up with? How long is a piece of string?? :rolleyes: I have been happy with the tiny bubbles continuosly (but not in great numbers) coming off one or two points on the bottom of the glass. The taste and mouth feel is carbonated but not highly so.

However last night I had a Coopers Pale Ale and saw more bubbles in it... they were bigger and more of them off the starting points at bottom. (ie more in the stream to surface) Any comments?

When using Carbonation Drops use 1 per 375ml bottle and 2 per 750ml bottle.

As long as the bottles have been chilled and I don't get much frothing the bottles filled from the keg are of a similar carbonation level as that straight from the keg.

When I bottle from the keg I try to drink them within a week. If I'm taking them to a BBQ etc then I fill them on the morning or night before.

As for carbonation from the keg I find that 300kpa for 48 hours gives a good carbonation level. I rarely deviate from it (a little more in a Wiezen).
As long as it is carbonated and a nice consistent lasting head, I'm happy.

Beers,
Doc

Thanks Doc. I have just kegged my first brew, a Black Rock Lager... previously been drinking my cousins Coopers that was in the keg. I wanted to try your system of 300kpa for 48hours but I struck a snag. When I tighten in the CIG Beverage Regulator to max pressure it only gets to 240kpa. The bottle side is 5000+kpa so it isnt a empty bottle.. its just new. :(

I tried looking for leaks with detergent water but I cant see any (although I didnt paint the regulator... just the output tail). I would think that I would be able to hear any leaks at that pressure. There isnt a lot of head space.. only a centimetre or so below the short input tube at top of keg. I tried opening the tap to get things moving but that did nothing except spout a jet of foam into the bucket that is my current drip tray.

Any thoughts? My guess is that the reg only goes up to 240kpa. Any comments appreciated.

Looks like it is the gauge... the paper background that has the pressures on it is leaning on an angle... it comes in contact with the guage needle and so stops the needle moving higher. Anyone know what the max pressure the reg is likely to put out?

Back