Have I Just Fu*ked My Brew....?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muthead

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have just done an extract pilsner which is currently chilling down torequired temp, however I think I may have fucked it - can someone tell me ifthis is normal?

Did my 60 minute boil. 4 litres following Ian's spreadsheet, added LME, hopadditions and then adjuncts for last 5 minutes. Then added this wort to myfermenter through a sieve into 4 litres of cold water already in fermenter.Added final 1.5kg of LME, stirred and then topped upto 23 litres with coldwater which had been cubed overnight.

My problem is that the entire wort seems to be the same colour as the boil Idid (ie the greeny colour that hops make).

DOES THIS MEAN I HAVE FUCKED IT?? And if so, what could I have done wrong?

Assistance appreciated.

Mut

Nope. Its prolly justbits of hops. It will settle

Thanks ekul.

Colour looked more wort like by 10pm last night when I pitched the rehydrated yeast (2x10g S23).

I have yet to see any sign of fermentation - is this normal....?

Pitched at 11c.

Cheers,
Mut

11deg is a bit cool for S23. will take some time to start up. if you can let it warm up a bit first then chill it back down.

BOG

Really? I thought she could get down to 9c?

Or is it better to maybe loosen her up at 14c and drop her from there?

Thanks pal, will mover her up a notch or 2 to get fermentation happening. Once its happening is it worth dropping back down to 11 or should I just leave at 12?

Cheers,

Thanks pal, will mover her up a notch or 2 to get fermentation happening. Once its happening is it worth dropping back down to 11 or should I just leave at 12?

Cheers,

Get her back down as low as possible 11 - 12 is good this will prohibit any unwanted esters .

Get her back down as low as possible 11 - 12 is good this will prohibit any unwanted esters .

Cheers, have cranked her up to 14c and will drop her when fermentation kicks off.

Appreciated.

Back