Have I cracked the code ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abyss

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been discussed previously but I am thinking that the Home Brand Draught and Lager from W are actually Morgans.
The bottom of the tins have very similar codes and the 5g yeast thing is stuck to the can with the same glue.
Can anyone confirm this please?

image.jpg

aren't they morgans/coopers?

I keep a tin of the homebrand lager in my fridge.
I've worked out the exact weight of the goop to add to each litre of water to make starter wort of about 1.035 SG.
A tin lasts me about a year or so.
Easier than faffing about with DME.

Morgan's are from Yatala Qld, Homies say they are packed at Yenora NSW.
Coopers are SA.

warra48 said:
I've worked out the exact weight of the goop to add to each litre of water to make starter wort of about 1.035 SG.
So what is to exact weight warra?. Sounds a good idea to me.

Batz

[SIZE=11pt]I always found weighing or measuring out goop far more faffing about than DME. :blink: [/SIZE]

Batz said:
So what is to exact weight warra?. Sounds a good idea to me.

Batz
I'm in Perth on holidays at present. Will post back when I'm home again tomorrow.

I've been hunting through Woolies and Coles in Melbourne and I can't see any that stock the home brew supplies at all?
I've heard Dan Murphy's stitched up a deal to stock through their stores with supplies for home brew. Not sure that helps... :)

warra48 said:
Do you boil it at all?

Dr Tim Cooper (from Coopers ;) ) spoke at ANHC last weekend and I can confirm that Morgans, Coopers and Homebrand are all made by coopers. He mentioned it in his talk.

Cheers

Morgans at Yatala was started by Grant Sampson (I knew the guy personally when I ran a LHBS in the late 70s, he was sales manager at Brigalow at Beenleigh just down the road from present day Morgans) who set up on his own.

Coopers own Morgans but they still produce locally.

They may be produced by them, but dont expect the same ingredients / recipe.

Thanks for that guys.
I'm just wondering if the home brand tins are the same as say Morgan's Draught or are they made differently for woollies ?

warra48 said:
Hey warra48
Can you refer me to an instructional thread for the conversion of goo to starter wort? Love to have a look at this.
:)

warra48 said:
I'm in Perth on holidays at present. Will post back when I'm home again tomorrow.
Hey warra, can we please grab the details for this now you're (hopefully) home?

I use the Homebrand Lager tin from Woollies. I keep it in the bottom of the fridge door. It doesn't go off, as it's basically full of sugars and is similar to golden syrup etc in that regard.

135gr of goop in 1 litre of water gets me to 1.040 SG. For bigger or smaller starters, just calculate the proportion you need to use. For different SG, again just calculate it proportionately.

To make my starters, I measure the volume of water I want into a pot. The tin of goop is placed on scales and, using a spoon to get the goop out, I measure how much the weight of the tin goes down as I take the goop out.

I boil it for about 10 minutes, and tip it into my Erlenmeyer flask, and chill that in cold water baths in the sink. Very carefully add the stirbar (you don't want to just drop it and crack your flask). Then onto the stirplate.

I'm not aware of any particular thread on how to do this, but it's quite simple, and nowhere near as complicated as trying to understand the logic of some court's legal decision, as I had to do in a past life before retirement.

Hey warra- if you use another magnet on the outside of your flask, you can use it to slowly lower the stirbar into your starter.
(hope i'm not stating the obvious here)

Cheers,
RB

Red Baron said:
Hey warra- if you use another magnet on the outside of your flask, you can use it to slowly lower the stirbar into your starter.
(hope i'm not stating the obvious here)

Cheers,
RB
Yup, it's how I get it out before I pitch the starter slurry.

Back