Hate bottling, love Mosaic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Raja Goomba I

Prisoner of Sobriety
Reaction score
I finally bottled my first Taswegian brew, which feels like making my first beer again.

Before the spiel, just a long word of thanks to a number of AHB members who have generously lent or given me equipment & ingredients - jlm, dantehicks, yob, lagerbomb. If I in semi-inebriated form have forgotten anyone, let me know & I'll put a word of thanks in.

My bag of JW pils malt (non ahb acquisition) seems pretty ok as a base.

Bottled a sort of APA. I hate bottling, after a couple of years not bottling, there is no nostalgia & I don't miss it at all. But thankful for my free bottles & having something to put beer in.

I love mosaic, with Citra, its a marriage made perfect. Gave the missus a smell (flat beer isn't her thing but Vale IPA is) and it has passed.

Also did an SG test on my messed up barleywine (water cut during brew, no sparge). It tastes pretty nice. More like a thick IPA. JW pils with crystal & 2 caras.

Just a monday night post for the hell of it. Put your stuff ups or thanks for AHB generosity below.

You got that keggle cut then?

Nice one goomba, now the wait :-( bottles in winter in Taswega? Hope you have a warm spot sorted!

I see kegs in your near future

Didnt get the keggle, jlm loaned me a 36L Robinox pot.

Bottles are where the fermenter is for ales, in the hot watersystem cupboard. Couldn't taste OTT esters in the sample, so all good.

Can't wait until I taste it proper but Mosaic gets the thumbs up from a fussy wife so far! Thanks mate, I'm gonna order some soon from you.

I see a heat pad in your future young goomba. The force is strong in you........

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Couldn't taste OTT esters in the sample, so all good. Can't wait until I taste it proper but Mosaic gets the thumbs up from a fussy wife so far! Thanks mate,
Was that with the BRY-97?

Sadly, my mosaic keg just blew and I'm very sad to see it go, I'm at least a few weeks away from fermenting another one too, (insert sad face)

Have to got a fridge yet? I've a spare STC 1000 sitting about I've never used you can have for nix…

Just about to CC my second mosaic brew this time with the Bry-97. First was with US-05. I'm looking forward to seeing if there is any significant difference as they were both from the same batch.

Rowy said:
I see a heat pad in your future young goomba. The force is strong in you........

Yob said:
Was that with the BRY-97?

Sadly, my mosaic keg just blew and I'm very sad to see it go, I'm at least a few weeks away from fermenting another one too, (insert sad face)

Have to got a fridge yet? I've a spare STC 1000 sitting about I've never used you can have for nix…
The three things I managed to keep (read: fit in car) from Qld were: 1. My heat pad (because I knew I'd need it at some stage), 2. My bench capper (the best bench capper I've ever owned) and 3. My STC1000.

My issue with the STC1000 is that I only had the (from a mate in Qld who's an electrician) cold side hooked up. After all, winter in Qld is perfect for brewing, it's only making sure it's cool enough in summer that you need to worry about. So the warm side isn't hooked up. I have yet to figure out how to change that (so I can hook the heat pad straight into it), but in the meantime, the Hot Water System cupboard is looking really good, as it appears to be a fairly controlled environment, around 18-19 degrees. So at the moment, I don't have (or need) a fermenting fridge.

I used some US05 I had on hand. Generally, I find it getting a little skunky at a higher temp, but nothing in the sample or smell indicates I've got any issues, and it dropped out when I pulled it out of the HWS cupboard and into the laundry (not insulated, about 6 degrees room) to cold condition. So I'm making do with some new circumstances, which is great.

The BRY97 from your good self, Yob, is still waiting its first beer.

I brewed a barleywine last week, but the water got cut during the brew, so I didn't get to sparge. So the OG on the thing was about 1.090, which is upsetting. It's currently at 1.028 and tasting fantastic. Once the FG is ascertained, I'll oak it a couple of days with chips and then bottle.

Mosaic smells really good. Considering the missus was rapt with the smell, that's a great indication that this hop will be another firm favourite in my freezer. I'm going through it at a fairly quick rate, though. :(

Boy, writing is far easier on a computer than on a tablet, half-cut.

Rowy said:
Just about to CC my second mosaic brew this time with the Bry-97. First was with US-05. I'm looking forward to seeing if there is any significant difference as they were both from the same batch.
Let us know. Given I haven't been brewing when BRY97 got really mainstream, I've not had the use of it some have. Most swear by it and just up the hops a slight bit to compensate the better attenuation (and hop scrubbing), from what I've read.

Back