Has Robobrew overtaken Grainfather for product price point?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feldon said:
“And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good - need we ask anyone to tell us these things?”

Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Did Plato talk about the 'good' beer?

Brownsworthy said:
Ok guys, but has the Robobrew overtaken Grainfather for product price point?
Its a bit like a Chinese smartphone vs Iphone argument. Narrow difference on features and benefits, price is better for the Chinese one though I am not sure whether it is Certified to Australian standards. Grainfather after sales service has been sterling to date and the build quality is still superior. And for all of the criteria just mentioned some folks will still happily shell out even extra still for a BM.

Feldon said:
Edit: Less crafted as the same beer of equal quality brewed on non-computerised equipment.
As pointed out previously, the Grainfather and Robobrew are not really 'computerised' they simply have a standard PID temp controller. Something that I am sure most people would fit to any DIY brew rig. How does this in any way affect how 'crafted' the beer is?

LAGERFRENZY said:
Its a bit like a Chinese smartphone vs Iphone argument. Narrow difference on features and benefits, price is better for the Chinese one though I am not sure whether it is Certified to Australian standards. Grainfather after sales service has been sterling to date and the build quality is still superior. And for all of the criteria just mentioned some folks will still happily shell out even extra still for a BM.
Yup I would agree with this. As someone who was just in the market for a single vessel brewing system, it was a tough choice between them. If I was more patient I probably would have waited around till a few places started stocking the new Robobrew and had a good look at it. But based on what I have heard of the previous model and the fact that I could get a Grainfather now, I decided it was worth the extra cash.

Ultimately I believe you always end up getting what you pay for (within reason), the BM is better than the Grainfather and the Grainfather is most likely still going to be slightly better in terms of quality and after sales support to the Robobrew. But thas just my 2 cents.

Way to go tidal Pete....

Make a thread go poo poo OT and then leave!

Someone call kerrplease to arrest the situation!

Zorco said:
Zorco, on 07 Jan 2017 - 4:33 PM, said:

Way to go tidal Pete....

Make a thread go poo poo OT and then leave!

Someone call kerrplease to arrest the situation!
:lol:

[SIZE=10.5pt]Hey Zorco --- It's TidalPete with no gap in between the Tidal & the Pete thank you very much. [/SIZE] :)
[SIZE=10.5pt]I can only blame the OP rum & my own legendary impetuousness. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Feldon is on the right track here I reckon but then we're probably not SNAG's for want of a better term. :p[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Go, go you home brewery builds! :beerbang: [/SIZE]

LAGERFRENZY said:
Both are Chinese, just the assembly of the Grainfather is done in house.

I have to sadly say in the last year or two since these(GF and Robbo) have been released the number of build threads has dropped dramatically.

Quite depressing -_-

less innovation.

Maybe a reduced need to innovate in brewery equipment building frees up minds and time to innovate in recipe development and brewday technique instead?

wide eyed and legless said:
Both are Chinese, just the assembly of the Grainfather is done in house.
Much like many of the components of the Iphone only built to a stricter specification and quality management regime. Ultimately the customer places his /her faith in the firm marketing the end product. Grainfather (or Apple) vs Oppo or Huwaei (or Keg King's supplier). Do a search here on Keg King Element Fail for a taste of that track record and after sales service. To my best knowledge the elements never had Certification to Australian Electrical Standards and neither did the Gen 1 Robobrews although I would happily stand correct if not the case for the new ones.

malt junkie said:
I have to sadly say in the last year or two since these(GF and Robbo) have been released the number of build threads has dropped dramatically.

Quite depressing -_-

less innovation.
I just finished rebuilding my brewery today.

Not a thread and only on topic because I've left a spot in the corner for a GF/RB
[emoji39]

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1483781863.624949.jpg

Well, to be accurate, I've probably left room for a GF as I don't think the RB has taken over

malt junkie said:

Quite depressing -_-

less innovation.
I'm sure you could find some sites dedicated to building breweries. I for one would prefer talking about brewing beer, recipes, grain and hops. Bored shitless with how someone fitted a tap or element.

BJB said:
I'm sure you could find some threads on AHB dedicated to building breweries. I for one would prefer talking about brewing beer, recipes, grain and hops. Possibly not in this GF /RB thread so I'll have a quick search.
Bored shitless with how someone fitted a tap or element. Lucky there is Netflix
FTFY

F*ck I'm slow. I actually had to google that. [emoji14]

Fair play BJB...... no worries.

I'm Back on topic again now

Zorco said:
F*ck I'm slow. I actually had to google that. [emoji14]

Fair play BJB...... no worries.

I'm Back on topic again now
OT, but from the posts I've seen, Zorco I love that you can take as much as you can deliver. That's a rare trait.

Latest posts

Back