Has Robobrew overtaken Grainfather for product price point?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymick82

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have just noticed that Robobrew comes with the same internal malt pipe, overflow pipe, magnetic pump for recirculating and perforated plates as my Grainfather. Granted it doesn't come with a counter flow wort chiller, but it still comes with a wort chiller - plus a better option for boiling being you can switch on the 1900W and 500W element for a 2400W boil, where the Grainfather only has 2000W.

I think all things considered, the Robobrew has overtaken the Grainfather for the product price point.

Cheers.

A quick Googling* indicates the same, although those who have actually bought the Robobrew might have some valuable feedback regarding its quality. Assuming the quality were the same, well, I'd definitely buy a Robobrew over a GF. That being said, I'm a ghetto BIAB enthusiast so I'll always be too cheap to buy either.

* "Googling" isn't highlighted as a spelling error, but "Googleing" is. Is "Googling" an official word now? Seems a little corporation..y

as someone looking to go to all grain and possibly one of these options, would you mind elaborating a little more Zorco? So far the robobrew looks like the better option...

As a GF owner with the new PID controller, I can say it is an awesome bit of kit. But seeing the newest version of the Robobrew it also looks like an awesome bit of kit. I no chill so haven't even used the chiller after, well I've lost count how many brews, so to me it's not a selling point.

The Red Queen effect is clearly in operation though, GF took on Braumeister and now Robobrew is taking on GF. They all make beer and all will have their pros and cons and quirks. I love my GF but if this current iteration of the robobrew had been around when I bought the GF maybe I would have taken 2 robobrews instead.

mtb said:
Try a little more constructive response Costco
I did have a whole lot more written, but several >8% beers tonight meant I needed the harsh edit of my contribution.

I got the impression that the robo was doing ok, but not as well as the GF.

Not sure of build quality or durability yet. I wonder how many AHB Brewers have both and can compare. I'll search when back at the PC.

Cheers for the check mate

Always happy to criticise a double positive

Downsized from a 100L 3v with HERMS PID control, two pumps etc. to a robobrew series 1 with one of my pumps connected for re-circulation.

Has my brewing quality diminished? No. Batch size only. Happy with my purchase!

I've had a bit of a play with both, would GLADLY pay the extra for the Grainfather
It just felt much more quality built and sturdy

I've brewed on the robo at a friends house... works fine and all... but the build quality is pretty rough., very thin stainless, and the joins are a bit :unsure:

If I was to downsize from my 70L system, I think grainfather would get my $$$

There is a nother one on the market now ex china.
I will dig around for a pic.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1483668094.598548.jpg

I have been tossing up between the new Robobrew and the Grainfather. Haven't actually had a chance to see the new Robobrew in the flesh as I can't find a Sydney store that has one in stock but based on what I have seen on the older Robobrew compared to the Grainfather, I have decided to go with the Grainfather. The build quality certainly looks superior and for the extra cash, I think it will be worth it in the long run.

I am sure the Robobrew is still a solid piece of equipment and will pump out great brews though.

I've had a bit of a play with both, would GLADLY pay the extra for the Grainfather
It just felt much more quality built and sturdy
I've brewed on the robo at a friends house... works fine and all... but the build quality is pretty rough., very thin stainless, and the joins are a bit :unsure:
Sounds just like the Braumeister, Grainfather threads of a couple years ago. :lol: :p

BJB said:
Sounds just like the Braumeister, Grainfather threads of a couple years ago. :lol: :p
Not really, I think those 2 both have similar quality
Just with the Brau you're paying for " Superior German engineering" (not that I believe that exists anymore)
Also better elements, etc

Elements.
I have heard the gf heating elements are not replaceable.

Latest posts

Back