Has My 34/70 Failed Me?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hogan

Stalag Brewery
Reaction score
Hi all.

48 hours ago I put down a kit Brewcraft Dutch Lager with a #15 enhancer and hallertau hops. I pitched one satchet of Saflager (no starter or rehyd.) 34/70 at 23.c. and then brought it down to 12.c over the next 12 hours in my brew cabinet. It's been sitting at a constant 12.c since then but shows no sign of airlock activity or krausen and the OG=SG is 10036.

I know that lagers take longer to kick off and I am trying to be patient but I would think that with optimum temp control and good lager yeast? that something would have commenced by now.

Should I be pitching additional yeast? (I will be going for liquid in the future) or should I keep munching on my finger nails - waiting waiting.

Your advice, guideance and war stories would be appreciated.

Hogan.

In my experience this yeast always takes a freaking long time to get going on the first generation. Last time I pitched 3 sachets, rehydrated, into 23L and it still took over 24 hours to get going.

It's always got going in the end for me, but it generally performs better on subsequent pitches.

I'd wait a little more, I have had lager's take close to 3 days to kick off...

Next time I would recommend rehydrating the yeast, makes a world of differance...

Hogan said:
Should I be pitching additional yeast? (I will be going for liquid in the future) or should I keep munching on my finger nails - waiting waiting.

[post="81713"][/post]​

Try aerating the wort next time, and rehydrating your yeast. I also like to start my lagers at about 20 degc until signs of ferment are noticable, then lower the temp to around 11 degc.
BTW, there are more yeast cells in a pack of dry saflager than a smack pack of liquid yeast, so in theory it should start faster if you handle it right.

vlbaby.

Ive only used it once but it got away in about 12 hours.
I rehydrated the yeast and pitched it around 20 degrees, then i slowly lowered the temp once I saw that it had started fermenting (small bubbles on the surface).

Fermented without any dramas.

Alex

It's 72 hours now and there is a hint of Krausen forming. No lock activity and I will test the SG later today. Looks like I might be waiting for Xmas before I can knock the top off a bottle of this lager. Thanks for your input guys.

By the way - on the subject of reusing lager yeast cake. What temp should it be stored at in the fridge, how long will it last and what quantity should I use for my next lager.

Hogan.

How big was your batch? With dried lager yeast fermented at proper lager temps, you should really pitch 1gm per litre.

Cheers
MAH

23 lts MAH. I had not heard of the 1gm lt before. Learn something new every day here. Krausen is increasing now thankfully.

Hogan.

With ales you can get away with a 11.5gm packet for 23ltrs, but with lagers fermented at around 10c-12c, it's not quite enough. It will eventually kick off and ferment the beer but the lag time and stress on the yeast is increased. For optimum results with dried lager yeast 1mg per litre is a pretty good way to go. Unfortunately this makes it an expensive option. I can buy a smack pack for $10.50 or 2 packs of 34/70 for $9. But the conveience of the dried yeast is a big plus.

Cheers
MAH

I didn't know that about yeast either... I knew that there was a certain amount you needed in, but wasn't sure how much...

I have a simple rule when lagering, always prepare a yeast starter. I do so with any beer now, be it ale or lager.

Another thing, make sure your fermenter lid is on properly. Sometimes the gas is getting out from somewhere else. A hydrometer is what you should be relying on, not the airlock.

Back