Has anyone used Laminex?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshF

Reaction score
Hey guys,
On the next step towards my keg setup, i've now got my chest freezer (still waiting for the reg, fittings etc to get delivered) and after seeing some of the awesome photo's in the kegging setups pages, i was curious if anyone had used that fake wood laminate/laminex on their chest freezers to give it a wooden kind of look?

I couldn't find anyone having asked this before and it may be an odd question but i think being n a budget it might look pretty cool, or at least somewhat different to the standard pasty white colour.

Anyone got any thoughts or other idea's to pimp a chest freezer? Worth noting, I'm going with the font setup instead of the collar as i like the look of the shiny tower and taps more :)

cheers,
Josh

I think just painted up would look better than wood grain laminex.

Yeah it'd be far easier aswell but i was thinking the wooden look would tie in better with my funiture etc instead of this big ugly duckling thing sitting in the corner haha

haha, you sure you don't mean spandex? Taking laminex off shorts wouldn't be the most comfortable thing for bodyhair :lol:

if you use laminex you would need to add some external corners which are usually white (that is if your freezer is a flat surface with no edges already on it) the external corners would be to stop the sheeting getting caught and ripped off or cutting you as you walked past as well as hide the dark edge it would show. if it doesn't bother you the white corners then just fix it using a sikaflex product. you may need to roughen the freezer face up a bit and also the back of the sheet if it is smooth to ensure a good fix for the sika.

Also laminex sheeting is not cheap (unless you are in the know some how) we just got a sheet of the 4mm laminex for work the other day it was around 200 for the sheet and that was plain white.

another alternative to avoid the corners possibly use a vinyl wrap or some of that flooriung vinyl stuff that could roll around the edge. Will also depend on your freezer.

Hope i was of help.

Not sure if it would look nice or not? All done i it would be a bit to 70's for me.

How about that mini corrugated iron tied in with some nice timber in the corners. Would still fit in with the wooden theme, and be retro. It's also known as mini orb.

edit Here's an example

QldKev

Mash maestro that's really useful, thanks heaps for the idea + tips, and brewdude that's also a pretty good looking setup. Got a few nice idea's lined up now :)

cheers guys

You can get some pretty cool colours in Laminex , my uncle is a cabinet maker and I've seen the range of colours and effects that it comes in. Stone, brushed aluminium, Gloss etc.

But as has been said, you would need to be spot on with attaching it, particularly on the corners etc.

not being a smart arse this time. heaps of stuff online with lamines. USA does heaps. theres also been a few threads recently or at least a few posts with laminex. maybe ebay, not sure.

search keezer laminex, keezer cover, keezer... whatever. not much help, but theres stuf out there.

actuall it could be fridge coverings im thinking off. not sure. anyways the corrigated stel stuff lookes better but does cost more. there is a keezer conversion article i wrote but isnt activ becasue of the site change over. not that is has laminate info but might be a useful referance.

yess spelling i atrociauos but firs time drinking in about 1.5wks am exercising lots and dehyradted. deal with it .

Matchboard stuck on with maxbond and varnished looks pretty good.

Like here. Its a fridge but there is no reason you couldn't do it with a freezer.

joshF said:
On the next step towards my keg setup, i've now got my chest freezer (still waiting for the reg, fittings etc to get delivered) and after seeing some of the awesome photo's in the kegging setups pages, i was curious if anyone had used that fake wood laminate/laminex on their chest freezers to give it a wooden kind of look?
I've had a lot to do with laminates as I used to work for my old man who is a detailed joiner/carpenter and to be perfectly honest it is a PITA if you don't have the right gear and glue to attach it. You need to make sure that you roll out all the bubbles out when you lay it and if you have any sharp corners exposed they will cut you like a razor. You also only really get one chance to lay it, as the glue takes pretty much the instant you lay it. If also breaks and chips really easily when it is just a sheet on its own.

If it were me I'd look for an alternative. I like the look of the bar posted by QLDkev. I reckon that would look better than laminate, would be easier to put together and cost you a s*&t load less.

Latest posts

Back