Has anyone had experience with the multiparameter meters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roosterboy

Reaction score
Just wanting to know if anyone has bought a multiparameter meter - ie pH , TDS , Conductivity , salinity ..
They range in price from about $80 including (cal solutions )up to several hundred dollars. I don't want a
random number generator so willing to spend $200- $300 .
Thanks

I have a pretty high end Hanna 3 in 1, a new probe is nearly $300, so I'm thinking of doing something similar, just getting a cheap one (<$100) for general use. Realistically you aren't going to get much more than a year or two out of a pH meter, no matter how careful you are keeping the probe wet... and I'm getting over the price tag.
Need pH (that's a given) resolution and accuracy to 0.01pH would be ideal
Temperature, 1oC minimum, 0.1 would be better - need temp for the ATC
TDS, Conductivity and salinity are all pretty much the same thing (remember that you need a calibration solution for this as well as for the pH) If you have one you can derive the rest.
Been looking at a couple on eBay and a few other places, will let you know which one I settle on, if that's any help.

One other thing, my local Lab supply has 500mL-1L bottles of all the calibration standards and storage solution (well worth getting) use fresh every time you calibrate, you need less than 50mL so it lasts a long time and you don't risk cross-contamination and calibrating with standards that aren't spot on.
Mark

Going to do a bit more checking (ask a mate who used to sell scientific instruments) but this one is looking very tempting Hanna HI98100.
It's just a pH meter no TDS (mine still works) a good brand at a reasonable price, looks like it ATC to 50oC.
The one on KegLand for less than $40 might be OK but how do you tell...
Another similar price one offered in Aus by 41 Pints of Beer (never heard of them before) has some good features but again.
Might go the bit extra and get this one Hanna Beer pH Tester ATC from 0-80oC and a bit higher accuracy.
Mark
(I'm pretty sure I'll talk myself into the beer tester)
M

There is one on ebay , made in Taiwan, AquaTees Fishland , has 6 measurements ie pH , ORP, Salinity, EC ,TDS, Temp with storage soln and all calibration solns for $160. I can get my fish tank water checked and beer in one meter .

Note that the ORP end is an extra $34, don't know how much you need to measure redox, can be useful in waste water management and presumably fish tanks.
I have no idea how reliable the unit is, pretty sure I'll stick with a name brand that has Oz service.
Seriously not a right/wrong decision just what works for you, Keep the electrode wet and calibrate every time you use it, should keep you out of random number generator territory.
Mark

Back