Has anybody tried smoking hops ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abyss

Reaction score
I have.
Today is or was brew day and I decided to roll and smoke, a Champion Ruby + Cascade flower.
Now I can't find my ******* hydrometer.
I feel very hoppy.

I drew the line at banana peels, back when Google wasn't around to disprove urban legend.

Camo6 said:
I drew the line at banana peels, back when Google wasn't around to disprove urban legend.
Don't forget nutmeg.

DrSmurto said:
Every case swap we make hop doobies - hop flowers mixed with tobacco. It's a tradition.
G'day Dr Smurto.

I was pleasantly surprised of the outcome mate.

Guilty of both hops and banana peel your honour. Although the banana peel was a long time ago.

I was thinking hop flowers in a cold smoker for adding to a stout

My apologies, wrong thread

Weirdos

Cheers

When I lived at Old Bar I gave about a kilo of old hops, mostly Galena and Chinese hops, to a mate who soaked them in metho for a week, then filtered the slurry into a wide dish to let the alcohol evaporate off.
This left him with a resin that he scraped up, mixed with tobacco and smoked. He reckoned it was very soothing.

Poor bugger had a degenerative spine disease and was always experimenting with stuff, but 3 years ago didn't have much luck with trying to distill injectable drugs off spent morphine patches. Still miss the crazy bugger.

Camo6 said:
bradsbrew said:
Guilty of both hops and banana peel your honour. Although the banana peel was a long time ago.
And I thought I was the only idiot. A mate and I dried some skins in the oven (about 50 years ago) and had a field day with a tobacco pipe. Had a monstrous headache for 2 days!

Now I'm wondering if it would show up on a saliva or urinr test ?

Hahahahaha, if hops showed up in a urine test Yob would never be able to be legally employed in Australia

Yep' hops do have a therapeutic and sedative effect.some health food natural type shops sell hop derived tabs etc
Back in old days apparantly they used to find hop pickers napping in between the bines.
It got a few hippy mates who do like to smoke some of my hops when over, the flowers burn better. Although I don't smoke I've tried it a couple of times, deff does make you mellow out for a short time.
Real hoppy ales such as Pliney the elder can put you down for the night as well....

It does have a reputation of calming, relaxing effects and yet its scientifically unprovable. I like that fact.
It adds to the mysticism of Beer.
I don't think I'll try smoking it though...

Anyone remember that woman who came here a year or 2 ago saying she needed fresh and ONLY fresh hops in the middle of winter?
I reckon she was gonna blaze it...

Back