Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating using the link above.
  1. Brewer's Friend is having an open giveaway, ends soon, so enter now!

Click Here to Enter Now!
    Dismiss Notice

Harvesting Turbo Yeast

Discussion in 'Yeast' started by Andy Cap, 12/5/18.

1. Andy Cap

Posted 12/5/18
    Hi, blah blah blah ......
    So cutting to the point, has anyone attempted to harvest Turbo Yeast?
    I began my addiction, yellow brick road, what ever you wish to call it with Turbo yeast, it came with a bad taste and a lot of filtering.
    I was quickly converted to a sugar wash with tomatoe paste. Had me satisfied for almost a year now.
    Digging though my cupboard, I came across a discarded Turbo yeast pack.
    I had an empty fermenter; so what ever, kicked her in the guts.
    After smashing the sugar wash for the past year, I was once again pleasantly surprised with the output of the Turbo.
    I have been using K1-V1116. aka - Terminator, with my sugar wash, with pleasant results.
    I don’t empty my fermenters completely, just empty them to the last few inches, and top them up again. No need for extra yeast addition, as I mentioned, it’s been about a year. . .
    So......
    Getting back on track....
    I used the Turbo I found in the cupboard,
    And after the first output, I used the lees, added tomatoe paste as I have with the “terminator “ and I am now getting 2x the output that I was getting from K1-V1116
    At this point, I was using the left over nutrients, as we all know Turbo is well over fed, but to my knowledge ‘the terminator ‘ was the highest alcohol producing yeast.
    Anyone have something to share???

2. hoppy2B

Home Page:
    Posted 16/5/18
    There is yeast out there that will surpass 20% alcohol production. K1 is said to go to 18%. Turbo yeast as I understand it is a brand name and therefore not quantifiable against any benchmark, ergo, the different Turbo yeast strains will have different specifics.

This is mostly a beer brewing forum, so we don't have a lot of moonshine discussion on here. And I think most brewers on here would frown upon the idea of using their ferment vessel for a whole year without cleaning it, if that is what you are saying above.