Harris 601 Reg And Soda Stream Adapter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

als_world

Reaction score
My 601 reg from GMK turned up today. I mated it up with the Soda Stream adapter from hoops. Here are some pics of the combo.

The first shows the stem on the 601 reg. Hoops - the depth of the inner part is exactly 5mm, with a diameter of 12mm.

The second show the adapter with the supplied washer, it's 2mm thick.

The third is the whole thing put together.

The best result seems to be with the nipple inside the adapter set so it just sticks up above the level of the washer, I'm guessing 2mm or so.

I'm not game to try and unscrew this stem from the actual reg body to measure the thread on that end of things to see if Hoops can make a SS adapter to fit directly into the reg :(

ss1.jpg
ss3.jpg
ss2.jpg

Top stuff Al, that's the first photo I've actually seen so far of the Harris 601 reg.
Good to hear it's all coming together and working well.
I'll have to have a brew day at my place this year (once I get my March pump :D ) then you can put those adaptors to use ;)

Hoops

Here's the whole setup:

ss5.jpg

And finally, we have pressure !!!!!

ss4.jpg

Cool Pics Al....

Nice work Hoops.

Hoops you liar! I have sent you pics of my 601 :p

050215_004.jpg050215_005.jpg
050215_006.jpg

The main bloke at Harris told me that it is a very strange thread going into the reg body, and that they had to do it that way to satisfy the licensing requirements of selling into a 'domestic' market such as home brewing.

He described it as a "parallel thread with a sealing washer". There is no separate washer in my reg so I'm guessing this is engineer-speak for a flat mating surface - basically it is the end of the stem that pushes against a flat surface inside the reg that makes the seal - not a tapered thread like most joints.

I have spoken to a CNC machinist near me who can do 10 for about $450 - obviously I'm happy to organise this if there's enough interest, but I'd rather give Hoops the first option as his guy is obviously already helping us out and might be a bit cheaper.

I may be able to locate some neat 30mm rear-entry gauges too, this would make for a very compact Sodastream setup.

My bad :ph34r: Forgot about that!
The depth of the recess was the info I was after, should have asked you back then

Hoops

The recess in the end of the stem is about 9mm (its tapered but 9mm will give you the clearance you need) by 9.4mm ID.

I reckon you'll need a sample though Hoops, I wouldn't like to make one of these on spec alone!

Gents i am a machinist, i would gladly machine some up for you at almost cost. Can you place a pic off what you need (not all the gear), i am in Canberra so will have to pay for freight that's all. If you are interested PM me, i will need a sample but could have them done quickly.

Stagger

Wortgames said:
The recess in the end of the stem is about 9mm (its tapered but 9mm will give you the clearance you need) by 9.4mm ID.

I reckon you'll need a sample though Hoops, I wouldn't like to make one of these on spec alone!
[post="55649"][/post]​
I certainly won't be the one making it, I will be passing the specs onto a fitter & turner so for what you are after I would think it would definitely need to be looked at by a fitter to be measured properly. (There's 1000psi behind that badboy!)

Hoops

Back